Windy Post, Dartmoor

jfb

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Small-JFBX1428---Windy-Post-Meteor-and-Milky-Way.jpgThis is a combination of 3 shots of this iconic location.

Arriving at the car park to clear sky, by the time we walked to the cross in typical Dartmoor style it was raining heavily - thankfully after 15 minutes the skies cleared.

The iconic shot is this orientation of the small waterfall with the crooked cross in the background - unfortunately the angle points you directly at the glow of Plymouth in the distance.

Shots taken landscape at 15mm on a Tamron 15-30 f2.8 fitters in a 1Dx - ISO 3,200, 30 second exposure, shot at f2.8 - a vertical panorama was then put together from 3 shots. The passing Perseids meteor was nice to include :)

Very nice. Good job you didn't turn around and go home because of that rain.

Reactions: jfb
That is one stunning shot. If I had taken that it would be hanging on my wall. Brilliant.

Sorry for the delay in responding one of those manic weeks...

Very nice. Good job you didn't turn around and go home because of that rain.
The shift from 100% cover & rain to clear was a matter of minutes, here are two shots - the one on the left was to the North, the other was the South view as it was clearing, this is taken the otherside of the small waterfall - it shows how quickly things can change...

JFBX1389.jpg JFBX1421.jpg
That is one stunning shot. If I had taken that it would be hanging on my wall. Brilliant.
It was one I had been after for a long time, just needed to be in the right place at the right time, getting the alignment with the Milky Way & waterfall meant it really had to be shot at the new moon in August

Very nice shot, any filter applied?
No this is basically straight out the camera with a few tweaks in PS - the main pic was a stitch of 3 images, shot landscape, this was to give me a bit more width and include more of the Milky Way, hence the almost square image.
This is a single exposure, exif 1Dx, 15-30mm at 15mm, 30", stopped down to f5 and ISO 5,000 - it works really well, but I prefer the squarer version as there are several workable crops available. The passing Perseid was taken on the evening but added in the right location..

JFBX1424.jpg

Sorry for the delay in responding one of those manic weeks...

The shift from 100% cover & rain to clear was a matter of minutes, here are two shots - the one on the left was to the North, the other was the South view as it was clearing, this is taken the otherside of the small waterfall - it shows how quickly things can change...

View attachment 135320 View attachment 135321

It was one I had been after for a long time, just needed to be in the right place at the right time, getting the alignment with the Milky Way & waterfall meant it really had to be shot at the new moon in August

No this is basically straight out the camera with a few tweaks in PS - the main pic was a stitch of 3 images, shot landscape, this was to give me a bit more width and include more of the Milky Way, hence the almost square image.
This is a single exposure, exif 1Dx, 15-30mm at 15mm, 30", stopped down to f5 and ISO 5,000 - it works really well, but I prefer the squarer version as there are several workable crops available. The passing Perseid was taken on the evening but added in the right location..

View attachment 135322
I remember going up Pen-y-Fan some years ago for a night shoot. Lovely clear night, I was putting my camera on the tripod (at silly o.clock) and all of a sudden I couldn't see anything, thick low cloud or fog, and I mean thick. Couldn't see a thing. I was not a happy bunny.:)

Reactions: jfb
Up on the moor, your face can get sunburnt while your arse is getting soaked by rain!

I remember going up Pen-y-Fan some years ago for a night shoot. Lovely clear night, I was putting my camera on the tripod (at silly o.clock) and all of a sudden I couldn't see anything, thick low cloud or fog, and I mean thick. Couldn't see a thing. I was not a happy bunny.:)
Yup some nights are like that, I remember waiting to do a planned shoot in North Wales, the forecast was for 10 mile vis & totally clear. After sheltering in a pub to kill a few hours we eventually headed out - unfortunately no one had actually told the weather gods and the reality was we could not see the end of the bonnet of the car due to the stair-rod rain & fog - but then just occasionally it goes the other way - just to tease you...

Back