Winter arrives in Snowdonia!

Oooooh that light! This would look great in mono too!

Brilliant shot. Agree with all of the above.

Oooooh that light! This would look great in mono too!
I've been lucky on my last two trips to this summit!
I tried a mono conversion after seeing your comment and only just realised that I can't use silver Efex without paying :( I'm not very well practiced in doing a B&W conversion myself, but I came up with this after a quick mess about on affinity photo. Quite like it, but think I prefer the colour version. IMG_6352.jpg
That’s a very nice example of the shot. The lights epic
Yes, I was very lucky with the conditions. I'm not normally a fan of the usual compositions but in this case I think it was the best way to go to make the most of the light. Annoyed that I missed the tripod leg shadow in the bottom right corner!

Good light, good composition. Also a good example of centring the key object (Castell y Gwynt).
Thanks John. I do tend to base my compositions around the rule of thirds, but sometimes it doesn't quite feel right. Which is what I thought with this one.

That light - stunning. Beautiful composition taking advantage of it. I really like that.
That is excellent, the light is great and the composition makes the most of it.
Brilliant shot. Close to perfection.
Love this!
Brilliant shot. Agree with all of the above.
Stunning work
Stunning image.
Beautifull love it

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. It means a lot to me. :)

I'll add a phone shot of my camp -
IMG_20190117_085959.jpg

I much prefer the colour version, but hey, that's just me maybe. The shot of your camp shows the commitment you have gone to, to get the shot. Well worth it in my opinion. :)

I much prefer the colour version, but hey, that's just me maybe. The shot of your camp shows the commitment you have gone to, to get the shot. Well worth it in my opinion. :)

I do prefer the colour version too. The b&w was definitely worth a try though.

Camping out works well for me. I enjoy being out in the hills, so if I'm out for a walk and a camp then I still feel like I've had a worthwhile trip even if I don't get any images.

Fabulous shot.
Thanks. I've been lucky with the conditions at this locations on my last two outings!

Superb, no point turning to mono though!

Cheers Neil.

First colour version for me. The light gets a bit lost in the mono but is gorgeous on the colour. How long does it take to get up there, looks a great venue

Thanks. Yeah, I do prefer the colour version.

There are a few different routes up, but when carrying photography and camping kit I always opt for the most straight forward route. In this case its walking up from Idwal Cottage towards Llyn Bochlwyd then up the miners track to Llyn Caseg-fraith and then west from there up to Glyder Fach. It took me 2 hours on this trip, but could easily be done quicker.

Went out for a midweek summit camp on Glyder Fach in Snowdonia. My first trip out with my camera since the beginning of September! An often shot location, but it was nice to get out.

Castell y Gwynt by Iain Macleod, on Flickr

The colour one is definitely the winner. Such good light and has a very unearthly look about it. First thing that popped to mind was "North of the wall"!

Back