North England Winter Hill

sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I was thinking it might be worthwhile to go and get some shots of green shoots amongst the burning on Winter Hill. Does anyone know what it's like up there, is it all green by now? And where exactly is the burnt area, what's the nearest road access. I would just go for a look but it's a bit of a way from me.

There might be some green shoots but it's probably a bit early for the heather. The grass could be out. Not been since the fire but I was brought up on them hills. The people who might know are the mountain bikers; they had a ride over there a couple of weeks ago but they probably didn't take any notice!

I understand that the fire was kept away from the masts and the gardens at Rivington and was mainly over the Belmont side of the hill. Wayoh reservoir was drained fighting the fire. The road from Belmont to Bob's Smithy will be your best bet for access. There is a very minor road up there that leads right to the heart of the moor.

Can post it up when on PC with Memory Map.

I need a trip over there if only to see what water levels are like now.

OK, here's the road I mean. Park under the n in Gilligant's Farm.
If you are feeling adventurous have a wander over to Three Nooked Shaw. A remote waterfall that has access blocked by United Utilities at the Belmont Road, so a trek over the moor is needed. Can be worthwile. Test your navigational skills. The small reservoir - Green Nook Tarn - on the way over gives good reflections of the TV mast; assuming it's millpond smooth.Capture.JPG

Thanks again Frank, I guessed that's where you meant, good to know about the parking.

Parking is very much on the where you can basis, but there is a stile over the wall and you can park next to it. There is a track of sorts leading to the reservoir but it peters out after that.

Back