Winter Kingy

Not bad at all in those conditions Russ, a nice ,diffuse BG too. Well spotted and a keeper of the event, it makes me slightly envious.

I note your ISO, how does the MKii fair at higher ISOs? From what I've read, the MKii has better noise performance than the MKi. Maybe 400 is your 'go to' ISO? Sorry for the questions, just Ive been having reasonable success with my MKi lately but you really do have to nail the exposure with it, which always means exposing to the right on the histogram, and then some, all part of my efforts to make use of a camera I've never really gotten on with. I have been pushing my MKi to 1600 ISO and even beyond recently, something I wouldn't have dreamt of not long ago.

Last edited:
Great to find at any time Russ and on a bullrush head, what a bonus! :)

I note your ISO, how does the MKii fair at higher ISOs? From what I've read, the MKii has better noise performance than the MKi. Maybe 400 is your 'go to' ISO? Sorry for the questions, just Ive been having reasonable success with my MKi lately but you really do have to nail the exposure with it, which always means exposing to the right on the histogram, and then some, all part of my efforts to make use of a camera I've never really gotten on with. I have been pushing my MKi to 1600 ISO and even beyond recently, something I wouldn't have dreamt of not long ago.
Many thanks Dale:)
- the conditions were not great for this shot - the image as taken:
_MG_5175-2.JPG

- a lot of lens flare as a result of shooting into the undergrowth and against what little light was present this morning. I normally expose to the right, and here I was at +0.33 ev as usual, so had to work on the image in LR5 to reduce exposure and re-gain contrast. With the 7Dmkii I find I am ok to ISO800 as it has lower noise than the Mki - but still nowhere as good as a full frame of course! If the light is particularly good I might stretch to ISO1600 for flight shots - I suppose it all depends on a range of factors including the use to be made of the finished image.

Russ

Many thanks Dale:)
- the conditions were not great for this shot - the image as taken:
View attachment 140331

- a lot of lens flare as a result of shooting into the undergrowth and against what little light was present this morning. I normally expose to the right, and here I was at +0.33 ev as usual, so had to work on the image in LR5 to reduce exposure and re-gain contrast. With the 7Dmkii I find I am ok to ISO800 as it has lower noise than the Mki - but still nowhere as good as a full frame of course! If the light is particularly good I might stretch to ISO1600 for flight shots - I suppose it all depends on a range of factors including the use to be made of the finished image.

Russ

You've pulled that out nicely, fair play. (y)

“Excellent” shot, nuff said.(y)

George.

Back