Critique Winter Scenes from Gavarnie

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
These were all taken on the Pic de Tentes trail.

1. We start with the view of Grand Astazou
_DSC3013 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

2. Then move onto the Cascade de Gavarnie
_DSC3020 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

3. Pic De Marbore

_DSC3033 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

4. A Slightly wider take of Pic De Marbore

_DSC3037 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

5. The Light was getting really tasty around now

_DSC3043 - Version 3 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

6. Light was looking really nice towards Astazou

_DSC3059 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

7. A Bit more cloud over the on the left would have been nice but I love this wider angle

_DSC3061 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Last edited:
Rich pickings here! Love the comp in no. 3, the light in 5 is excellent but the illumination of the cliffs on the rhs has gone :(
I think I prefer no. 3.

Looks like a great location, 2 is very nice but the compositions are all a little tight for my liking so the mountains are lacking a sense of scale. I'd love to see more at different focal lengths or compositions.

Slight problem - I didn’t take any on the shorter lens...

My reasoning

1. The sky - there wasn’t a huge amount of interest going - the tighter framing aided keeping sky portion filled with clouds.

2. If you do shoot wider you’ll frame the bottom of the valley and an ugly and obvious hiking track etc. If you ever go - you’ll see it...

3. If you shoot really quite a lot wider you frame the “foreground” ie the hill I was on. I wanted to avoid it as it was really just a grassy featureless clump in front of me - which was moving around in the wind. For me it’s all about the distant view and not blurred grasses up front...;)

4. I left the Sigma 50 (which if you stand where 2 is taken) shoot landscape orientation gives you a nice 2:1 wider take - in the car and also it was too clear looking over to Spain and the Breche of Roland. Otherwise aye that’s a cool shot

_DSC1435 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like the wide view, I think it would be great with a crop from the left so the waterfall is nearer to being on a third. The crop would be just where the left hand peak disappears into the cloud, and then you can crop a tiny bit off the top too. The sunlit hill on the right balances the sunny peaks top left.

But I agree the location cries out for the sort of long shots, picking out details, as you have done.

Thanks. It’s how I like to do it here.

I like the wide view, I think it would be great with a crop from the left so the waterfall is nearer to being on a third. The crop would be just where the left hand peak disappears into the cloud, and then you can crop a tiny bit off the top too. The sunlit hill on the right balances the sunny peaks top left.

Have a look at shot 7 - it’s the closest to this description - it can be done at 70mm in this way.

If I crop the shot from last year down so much I might have well just shot at 70mm

Gavarnie is imho one of the best landscapes in the world - far better and more exciting than anything back here. Can’t wait to be back again - under 300 sleeps to go :)

Back