Wild WIP Little owl

den

Name
Dennis
Edit My Images
No
View attachment 40983 Transition time for the owl in July so a lot of soul searching in ideas for different shots, long summer nights means some very late nights to attempt for some shots ,this shot was not about the perch or background for now it was about getting the owl on a post that for the last four years I have noticed he uses a lot especially just before sunset ,, its a good distance away from the quarry area and it is his natural perch of 5 posts all in a row, and its always number 3 he lands ,the idea came about when a member who was getting owl shots a couple of nights ago suggested it to me after spending sunset on the site and spotting the owl on the post on his way out ,I said he always uses it ,he just advised to try and get a shot just before sunset ,anyway I had a go last night and 3 hours later he arrived ,possibly 15 mins to early but for a starting point I am happy ,the said member even loaned me is 500mm f4 to try for it ,taken with the 1d mk4 500mm f4 at f4 1/320 sec 800 iso ,next time it will be with the 300mm just need to put a hide up to give him time to get used to it ATTACH=full]40983[/ATTACH]

Last edited:
Looking at this on the the phone so cannot comment on the technicalities. Looks like a fabulous image to me though. Lighting looks great. One for the wall ?

Looking at this on the the phone so cannot comment on the technicalities. Looks like a fabulous image to me though. Lighting looks great. One for the wall ?
Thanks , this may be the only chance I get in this light, I would have liked him to pop on the perch 15 mins later,but they are wild birds ,you need to get everything to click in to place ,sometimes you have the time and light but not the bird and vice versa but its a pleasure to even get shots at any time

It's good to see a different background..lovely shots,especially the second one. I do envy those who are able to see owls like this.

Not as you so put it PP`d to death,but as with a lot of your shots Den the main RGB input level needs taking to the right a touch.Even if this was just before sunset and light was low in the sky,the little nooks and crannies of that perch would still be showing a few small dark shadows.Not that I care what the perch looks like but I use something like that with texture and detail to give me a good indication of what has happened to the photo overall.The crop looks a little odd to me,other than knowing a subject should not be too central,this still has that effect, even though it has slightly more room to the left.Other than that a sharp enough image.

I especially like #1 as the feet are shown and the background feels a little more complimentary. Just a few dust spots to remove in PP on them but they don't take away from the fact they're some excellent images.

Reactions: den
Hi Rich,this last shot is part of the WIP ,what I have done is move the perches around as I am trying to find a good spot for at least a 30 min window of opportunity just before sunset(I need more than one shot to get it right) ,this was around 7.30pm ,I do get very close to the bird and the difference in colour from slightly diffused to full sun etc is like chalk and cheese ,sometimes you wouldn't think it was the same day ,the top shots are around 15 mins before sunset and the bottom one a good hour before in overcast white cloud, not trying to say your input and views are wrong but I try to portray the colours via the conditions ,yes I know PP is there to enhance the image but I don't put anything in there that is not already there ,hope that makes sense, I will agree my WB as always been a weak point of mine ,I have made a point of always checking my WB before I do anything ,normally starting with the picker and finding a neutral area and use that as a starting point....I now try to do that all the time and try to keep it consistent ...on the crop with the perch at the angle it is and the bird looking left I thought this crop worked,personal choice ,plus it was nearly full frame and I didn't have much to play with ,I think its 8x10 ,I will have a slight tweak on the WB to see if it looks better ...

Understand and appreciate lighting will be diferent,and to be honest I prefer the WB as it was.If you load that image in post #6 back into photoshop and go to levels,it should read, 0 1.0 255 Try adjusting just the middle one to the right so that it reads .88 Post it back up and then tell me your thoughts on how it looks.

Understand and appreciate lighting will be diferent,and to be honest I prefer the WB as it was.If you load that image in post #6 back into photoshop and go to levels,it should read, 0 1.0 255 Try adjusting just the middle one to the right so that it reads .88 Post it back up and then tell me your thoughts on how it looks.
Straight from flickr ,middle slider adjusted to .88Little owl 4th July 2015 Edit (1 of 1) by dennis greenwood, on Flickr

Back