Wisley Butterflies

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
First visit of the year to shoot this annual event. Somewhat disappointing as most of the exhibits were against the edge of the greenhouse glass and many dead ones on the floor. The number of species also lower this year and many looked as if they had been in a war going by the state of their wings. Will visit again next month and try again. Always welcome comments.

1. Papilio demoleus (Chequered Swallowtail)

IMG_4762
by Fazer, on Flickr

IMG_4769
by Fazer, on Flickr

3. Various views of Blue Morpho (morpho peleides)

IMG_4901
by Fazer, on Flickr

IMG_4972
by Fazer, on Flickr

IMG_4869
by Fazer, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks Chris. Totally agree about the DOF as many shots needed higher settings. Unfortunately the weather was dull and rain in afternoon pushing ISO up to 6400. Will also try micro focus as this is new lens. Looking forward to next visit as RHS state greater selection of subjects on the way.

I have done this for a number of years and your comments are not untypical. Expect a high ISO requirement, it is February after all inside a greenhouse. To anybody who has not been before, allow at least half and hour for your camera to acclimatise, (interesting, as they now 'officially' only allow you half an hour in the greenhouse), have some lens cloths handy, and once inside only wear a t shirt! It is tropical inside.

DoF is always a problem with such insects and they do get tatty at times. You need to time your visits to match with the greatest hatching rates, its not unusual for them to look battle scarred. Given that whilst they are cold in the early morning, they don't move much, focus stacking may be worth considering, flash can ruin the look of the scene.

Adrian Davies's RHS photography courses are usually timed to catch the insects early and cold and he probably also has an inside view on when the best hatching times are likely to release new butterflies to the greenhouse.

Nice shots, John

Cheers Ian. The temperature/humidity was not as bad as my previous visit and the camera was ready to go after 20 minutes. I did a bit in the morning, coffee, then an hour or so afternoon. Wrapping the camera in a plastic bag helped the demisting cycle. I think the half hour limit applies to this week, half term, and when the queues build up. There were plenty in the hatchery which will replenish stock this week. Good idea and might try focus stacking. Monopods are allowed, but not tripods so may take one next visit.
Adrian Davies's is all booked with a waiting list.

Yes agree above the depth of field comments it's not easy tho I normally use a tripod and remote release but if you can't use one that makes life difficult
nice shots really like the first one you've got the important parts in focus

Cheers for all comments and likes. Very appreciative

Thanks Kev. Hope to improve further on my next visit

Back