Name
Laurence
Edit My Images
No
35433834381_2a054d66f6_c.jpg

35177131510_9083a155e6_c.jpg

35396120752_e54904e0c7_c.jpg

34723035804_1df5874f4b_c.jpg

These are a few I took outside the Cafe Gondree at Pegasus Bridge during the D-Day commemorations a couple of years ago.

Thanks. That was the last time the Normandy Veterans Association took some veterans over so it was a big ceremony. That was taken June 5th which was a lovely day, next day it was awful weather so we moved down south. Pity really as the 6th June is a brilliant day for spectacle.

"Excellent" set of images, these are people we should never forget.

George

Thanks for the comments. Just watched the closing ceremony at the Bayeux British War Cemetery, I was there about 2010 with some friends and was amazed to see the comedian Eddie Izzard among the dignitaries. It turns out that the Normandy Veterans Association had run out of cash to send the veterans over to Normandy so they asked the government who refused to help. Eddie Izzard put his hand in his pocket and stumped up the cash!

A very nice set, Excellent detail...well captured.

Re HMG refusing to fund the vets trip it beggars belief , makes it worse when the PM said,in her speech, that the only words we can say is ‘thank you’ It seems typical of the authorities in this country and I’ve never been able to understand why. T was 60 years after the end of WW2 before they issued a medal for those who served on the Russian Convoys as my father did..gunnery officer HMS Kent. The answer is revealed at the end of this article but what PST-war relations with Russia had to do with it I have no idea.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...0-years-after-heroism-in-icy-seas-515105.html

Whilst on this I also Googled why the delay for this Normany memorial .Seems the local village residents were concerned about the impact on them but made clear their appreciation for the liberation https://www.thelocal.fr/20190606/fr...tish-d-day-memorial-on-their-land-in-normandy

Obviously the difficulties were overcome so there was no excuse for not funding the visit by the veterans. Well done Eddie Izzard.

Back