Withington manor horse trials, a few non colour images.

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
No
I like colour and black and white.
Sometimes we are photographing images in places where colour can be a distraction.
Any thoughts welcome.

Please view large by clicking on the images, thanks.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Hi Tony, I've shot some like these at Badminton and its very tricky indeed. For me, mono doesn't work with these sorry. The top two, why the 'antique' toning? I don't see anything that lends itself to that kind of treatment. The 2nd one, whats with the vignette? For me, it doesn't work at all and in trying to remove (I presume) distractions you've created an even bigger one!

The last is the best of them but may have benefitted from being a wider shot not chopping off the ground where the horse will land/bottom of the fence.

My trick for distractions in this type of environment was to stop them 'shouting' for attention by slightly desaturating the unwanted bright colours but keeping colour overall as it helps in the horses amazing muscle toning etc? Give it a go and see what (if anything) works.

Flavio, the shots are good enough that you don't need to pisch about with them with cr4p filters & effects.
If you are going monotone, do it properly but bring up the contrast to give it some bite and definition.

Oh and the ground line on the last shot is fine.

Thanks Rich and Mark,
Appreciate you looking and taking the time to comment, your thoughts are very helpful.
I've posted the colour versions as a means of comparison!
It's very interesting that many non photographer types seem to like the variation!

Please view large.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Better much prefer the colour versions, great shots by the way.

Yup, well, it shows a groundline. Unlike the only two equestrian shots you have available for view on your website.

The point of a groundline is to show the scope, scale and size of a fence. Unless there's a drop or ditch on the landing side, that's pretty much shown here.

Yup, well, it shows a groundline. Unlike the only two equestrian shots you have available for view on your website.

The point of a groundline is to show the scope, scale and size of a fence. Unless there's a drop or ditch on the landing side, that's pretty much shown here.
I simply said I felt a touch more ground would be preferable. It's my opinion. You have yours. Cool. My pics weren't up for critique and were shot for other reasons and show no ground at all.

I prefer the colour and the 2nd one looks like a preset

And I think these type of shots deffo need a groundline

Back