Withypool Bridge Exmoor

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Technically they look fine, they just lack anything compelling for me. The first is the strongest, the black and white hides the dull flat light that is apparent in the colour versions.

Also on the third, watch the edges of your frame, you've got things creeping in like the tuft of grass and the branch on the top left, easily cloned away if that's your style.

Technically they look fine, they just lack anything compelling for me. The first is the strongest, the black and white hides the dull flat light that is apparent in the colour versions.

Also on the third, watch the edges of your frame, you've got things creeping in like the tuft of grass and the branch on the top left, easily cloned away if that's your style.
Thank you Craig appreciate the feedback, it was such a dull day, would you only ever do B&W on these days ? I have a new remote that has turned up now so I can do longer than 30s in camera timer so will not have to push the ISO up as I would like to make use of the D810's ISO64 setting to keep details too, I can also see why some people buy waders as I think it might have been better straight on and maybe only one arch too, its all a learning curve :)

Last edited:
These things are so subjective, I wouldn't say that I would only ever do black and white on dull days, but personally I either do black and white or look for a very simple or minimalist composition that has soft colour tones, they tend to work well with long exposures too.

Have you had a look at the work of people like @Neil Burnell. Very simple compositions and minimal range of colours. Have a look at his Flickr.

Composition is a never ending learning curve. You've got to try things and learn from them.

These things are so subjective, I wouldn't say that I would only ever do black and white on dull days, but personally I either do black and white or look for a very simple or minimalist composition that has soft colour tones, they tend to work well with long exposures too.

Have you had a look at the work of people like @Neil Burnell. Very simple compositions and minimal range of colours. Have a look at his Flickr.

Composition is a never ending learning curve. You've got to try things and learn from them.
Just gone on Flickr and followed, wow @Neil Burnell your work is simply stunning !

Thank you, Adam. I have to say the tonal work in your mono shot is spot on IMO if you can apply this to other subjects that are possibly more suited then you're on to a winner.
Thank you Neil appreciated that, I will go back and save the settings as a preset in lightroom for future use.

Back