Witnessing something upsetting...

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Not necessarily horrifying or drastically unnerving, just something a little upsetting...

Went out for for some milk this morning to our local co op, and a person was just coming out with his shopping. He had something in a wrap that fell out of the paper and onto the floor. It looked like a bread roll or baguette, and possibly a sausage of some sort. Anyway he picked the food up and put it in the bin, and he continued to walk off down the road. I started to wonder, maybe he had no more money for a replacement.

I quickly went into the shop and got my milk, and I asked the person serving, what and where the sausage on a roll was. He replied, he did not know what it could be, or where it was. He did say "it might be by the bakery section". By the time I paid for the milk, and then found the item, the moment had gone.

There was only one person serving, and the shop was empty. Maybe he simply scans the item, and does not actually take note of what each item is. I know he serves hundreds of customers per day. When I used to serve customers, I could always remember what the last ten had purchased.

Many many years ago when I lived in reading I was approaching a roundabout at the top of a hill (old A4) when a motorbike came round on the other side of the dual carrigeway . He must have taken it to fast as he came off .. I pulled up and went over to help and a lorry on the other side of the road pulled up to . As we helped the motorcyclist up (he was just shaken) a mini came round the roundabout looked at us and was laughing his head off . Literally , as a second later he ploughed into the back of the lorry and got decapitated .

I believe that after this accident they brought in a law about the lower crash bars on the rear of lorries

Last edited:
Many many years ago when I lived in reading I was approaching a roundabout at the top of a hill (old A4) when a motorbike came round on the other side of the dual carrigeway . He must have taken it to fast as he came off .. I pulled up and went over to help and a lorry on the other side of the road pulled up to . As we helped the motorcyclist up (he was just shaken) a mini came round the roundabout looked at us and was laughing his head off . Literally , as a second later he ploughed into the back of the lorry and got decapitated .

I believe that after this accident they brought in a law about the lower crash bars on the rear of lorries

Now that is a great deal unnerving. :oops: :$
I suppose most of us have experienced or witnessed something horrifying at some point in our lives.

But my little experience this morning was just a little sad really. As I witnessed some poor bloke dropping his breakfast or morning snack. I was going to buy him a replacement roll / baguette, as I had a feeling he may not have had any more money for a replacement.

But as I said in an earlier post, by the time I found out what the bloke had bought and where in the shop the item was, the moment had gone.

Was at The Gower beach in Wales with friends celebrating a birthday in early 2000s. We had a wonderful day the first day, so decided to go back the next. Had a another great day, until about 3pm, where a child came running into the cove we were in screaming for us to come.
Me, my brother and another friend ran after him to discover a young man on the jagged rocks with very obvious horrific injury’s. It was clear he had fallen from the cliffs onto the rocks. His hands and fingernails were badly damaged as he scrabbled at the cliff face to save himself.
He was still alive, just about, so we took off our jackets and covered him up. We held his hand as the friend ran off to call an ambulance, we had mobiles back then, but the batteries were dead after a weekend of camping.
Sadly, the man died before the coast guard helicopter arrived.
A doctor pronounced him dead, but then said he was sorry, the helicopter couldn’t take the body away, as it was a waste of resource. So we had to sit there with him for several hours until the police and RLNI arrived on foot with a stretcher. It was a monstrous walk down hundreds of steps from the cliff top and a few miles of sand to where we were, and they had to carry him all the way back to the top of the cliffs to the car park into a waiting ambulance.

We later found out his friends were on the beach and had seen the commotion, and the helicopter landing, but thought not much of it, until their friend hadn’t returned from the walk to the cliffs he said he was taking.
I can still see it like it was yesterday, and although it doesn’t negatively effect me, I do still think of him and his final moments.

Many years ago when driving a Mini I almost had a very nasty accident with a lorry. It had been snowing and the roads were quite slippery as I trundled along when an articulated lorry coming the other way towards me swung out onto my side of the road to turn left. I stood on the brake and steered the best I could as the car slid all over in the slush. I passed the lorry at some speed and took the snow off the guards that would hopefully have stopped me going underneath. The driver cheerfully asked if I was ok but I was too shaken to call him what I thought of him. Actually I did crash into the back of one too. It had broken down around a corner on an A road. I did see it in time to avoid it if I'd had the chance to pull into the next lane but the car on my outside must have panicked and also braked effectively blocking me in and with nowhere to go I hit the back of the lorry but only at low speed, smashed lights and a slight crease in the bonnet only. The police attended but weren't interested in me just in the lorry driver who'd run out of fuel around a bend on an A road.

Not necessarily horrifying or drastically unnerving, just something a little upsetting...

Went out for for some milk this morning to our local co op, and a person was just coming out with his shopping. He had something in a wrap that fell out of the paper and onto the floor. It looked like a bread roll or baguette, and possibly a sausage of some sort. Anyway he picked the food up and put it in the bin, and he continued to walk off down the road. I started to wonder, maybe he had no more money for a replacement.

I quickly went into the shop and got my milk, and I asked the person serving, what and where the sausage on a roll was. He replied, he did not know what it could be, or where it was. He did say "it might be by the bakery section". By the time I paid for the milk, and then found the item, the moment had gone.

There was only one person serving, and the shop was empty. Maybe he simply scans the item, and does not actually take note of what each item is. I know he serves hundreds of customers per day. When I used to serve customers, I could always remember what the last ten had purchased.

Stories like yours gives me some faith in humanity and a reminder that there are some good people on this planet.

Sorry for going off topic but when did you move away from Reading?
I lived there from 1969-1998.

Stories like yours gives me some faith in humanity and a reminder that there are some good people on this planet.

By the time I had paid for my items and found the Sausage baguette, there was a queue of a couple of people. By the time I had of waited, the bloke would have been well gone by then. I do hope the poor fella managed to get something to eat later. Just the way my mind works, I think too much.

Most of us are guilty of not thinking enough sometimes, I saw this guy on a very cold wet morning, he wasn't begging or anything just walking, my first thought was a picture, after i put my camera away a young guy in a suit came running over and gave him a hot drink and hot sausage roll, saying you look like you need this more than me.

I could and should have thought that.

image_3228.jpg

Last edited:
I watched the CCTV recording of a car hitting my mum on her mobilty scooter as she crossed the road.
The accident proved fatal as she died of her injuries next morning.
Everyone said I should see it, but still not sure it was the best decision.

Last edited:
I watched the CCTV recording of a car hitting my mum on her mobilty scooter as she crossed the road.
The accident proved fatal as she died of her injuries next morning.
Everyone said I should see it, but still not sure it was the best decision.
I am sorry to hear that, couldn't have been good.

Seeing the CCTV may have given you a form of closure.

But we are all different a react in different ways. What some have put on here, I would not find particularly upsetting. And the problem is until we actually are confronted with something it is difficult to know how we will react either at the time or later on.

Just look at our military service personnel. Many will see things that are traumatic but will carry on and do their job, it is only afterwards that it affects them. (Often several years later)

Last edited:
As an apprentice in the mining industry myself and my mate were sent underground to hacksaw off a length of girder that had crushed a miner’s head in an accident that morning. That unfortunately was only the first serious/fatal accident I was around in my 30 years underground, a risk of the job I reckoned, safer than crossing the road we were told, when we get together at reunions we laugh at the near misses and raise a glass to those who never got home, but, back then we always went back to work the next day, life went on.

I saw a lad get his head caught between a pair of shutting Harrier jet, nose undercarrriage doors. They were doing final retraction tests and the doors stayed open when they should’ve shut. For some reason, the lad decided to pop his head into the nose bay and caught the micro switch with his shoulder. 3000psi of hydraulic doors closed either side of his head. I heard the bang as the supervisor pulled the ground release handle and the doors opened and the lad fell out. The top of his head was half off and the pool of blood horrendous. I ran over and helped keep him calm and held his head together with blue roll soaking the blood up, until the emergency services turned up. The aircraft in question I named Christine and is now famous for a catalogue of accidents. You can now see it parked at the side of the A1 as RAF Witterings gate guardian.

Just come back from the shop, and I spotted the bloke who dropped his Sausage Butty. He was just coming out of the shop with a bag of food, and this time he was eating his butty. I feel a little bit better now. I know, I think too much. :)

35+ years ago my sister went on a double date with her friend, after they were both dropped off the driver happened to come across an arctic parked across the Ruthin to Denbigh road on his way home - at night. Of course he couldn't see it as at the time they didn't have side lamps on the trailers. I think that this was another incident that prompted legislation for improved lighting on artics and crash barriers on the side. The age of the car could've been a factor as the roof was cleanly torn off..

Just come back from the shop, and I spotted the bloke who dropped his Sausage Butty. He was just coming out of the shop with a bag of food, and this time he was eating his butty. I feel a little bit better now. I know, I think too much. :)
If he was skint and the butty had been his days food intake I suspect he would have just scooped it up and scoffed it, 10 second rule and all that?

If he was skint and the butty had been his days food intake I suspect he would have just scooped it up and scoffed it, 10 second rule and all that?

Not necessarily skint, but may not have had the money on him.

Might have been a cheeky extra snack so relatively unimportant.

Most of us are guilty of not thinking enough sometimes, I saw this guy on a very cold wet morning, he wasn't begging or anything just walking, my first thought was a picture, after i put my camera away a young guy in a suit came running over and gave him a hot drink and hot sausage roll, saying you look like you need this more than me.

I could and should have thought that.

View attachment 304223
I think it's sometimes just when the opportunity presents itself , 2019 bought a car from a guy in Lincoln just before Christmas , we made a weekend of it , went on the train , stayed in a hotel , walked into the city centre and got drunk on gin

Decided to get a taxi back , walking towards the taxi rank we saw a guy getting ready to spend the night in a shop doorway covered in cardboard

My wife said , we're not too drunk to walk back are we , so she gave the guy the £5 and we walked it

Something I regret not doing because at the time it didn't occur to me

Queuing in a KFC at lunchtime an ambulance crew joined the back of the queue , I got served then just as she handed me my food they got a call and left with no lunch

If I were ever in that position again I'd swap with them

I was working in Newcastle quite some years ago. The process I was doing had a long wait period so I went for a walk, and while in the town, saw a dishevelled older woman hobbling along, looking for all the world down on her luck. I went over and offered her money, only to receive a torrent of anger because she was completely fine and I had made a mistake. :rolleyes:

I was working in Newcastle quite some years ago. The process I was doing had a long wait period so I went for a walk, and while in the town, saw a dishevelled older woman hobbling along, looking for all the world down on her luck. I went over and offered her money, only to receive a torrent of anger because she was completely fine and I had made a mistake. :rolleyes:

Never mind. It's the thought that counts (y)

Back