weekly WMD's 52 for 2016 - Weeks 43, 44, 45 & 46 all added!

WMD

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
No
So after doing a 52 in 2013 (my old thread is here), skipping 2014, putting my name down for 2015 - but never actually posting anything - I'm back for 2016.
I recently did another trip to Iceland over new year - fantastic trip for many reasons (she said "yes"!) but it became apparent just how out of touch I'd fallen with my photography and my way around my camera. So I decided I needed to put that right for 2016.

So here's Week 1 - Metal.
1/52 - Iceland DC-3 Plance Crash (Metal) by Matt, on Flickr

As mentioned above, this was taken on my trip to Iceland - specifically the DC-3 plane wreck site in Sólheimasandur. Fascinating place and worthy of the trek from the main road! This was my first outing with my new Nikon 10-24mm - seems good and maybe a bit sharper than my old Sigma wide angle. Early days yet - we'll see!

Will be posting week 2 later in the week, but will try and comment on other threads where I can! :)
- Matt

A very moody and evocative shot Matt (y)

Nicely taken, I like the way the noise is still pointing to the sky

Hi, excellent shot love all the shades of blue, no crit at all for that, one place I would love to visit

A fabulous shot - loving the composition and the toning. Clearly an intriguing landscape; there is something quite eerie about this which the tones bring out.

Good stuff

Spooks

What can I say that has not been said but Fantastic photo....

I too can't say more than has already been said Matt (y)

Brilliant image, show how desolate the area is and how cold. Perfect framing and processing

Matt, that Dakota photo is fantastic. The blue light is terrific, and makes a great change from the very dark and moody photos you usually see of the plane.

It was sadly missed off in my trip to Iceland as driving snow wreaked the day, so I have never seen it in the flesh

Hi Matt,

Congratulations on the "she said yes".

I can only echo the comments above and say how great that shot is. That dark cloud above the plane really adds a sense of drama to the picture.

Oh Wow - that is amazing .. .I mean that "she" said Yes ha ha - good luck to you both. Such a striking image - wonderfully composed and lit. Excellent stuff. Good luck with the '52

That's a stunning photo, possibly one of my favourites so far. The way the shape of the clouds echoes the direction of the plane makes the shot. Supid question maybe but is that the actual colour or did you add a blue tint?

Thanks everyone for the feedback - I've got a lot of photos from Iceland to go through still, fortunately this one fitted the theme for week 1 perfectly!

Hi, excellent shot love all the shades of blue, no crit at all for that, one place I would love to visit

Yes, I've been to Iceland a few times now, but this was the first time I've made it to the plane wreck - fascinating place, worthy of a visit - my advice would be wait until Spring though, so so cold in winter!

Hi Matt ....good luck for this year ...and congratulations that 'she said yes' :) that's a fascinating shot ....the colouring suits it perfectly, it has that really bleak look.

Thank you for the best wishes! :)

Matt, that Dakota photo is fantastic. The blue light is terrific, and makes a great change from the very dark and moody photos you usually see of the plane. It was sadly missed off in my trip to Iceland as driving snow wreaked the day, so I have never seen it in the flesh

Thanks for the feedback Carl!
Yes I know what you mean! We missed it off previous trips to Iceland, but were determined to make it this time. We actually arrived 2mins before a snow / hail storm - had to get back in the 4x4 as it physically hurt the way it pelting down! Just as we were headed back, the clouds cleared and the storm stopped - so we u-turned back to get some more photos. Thankfully the storm had meant everyone else had left too - we had the place to ourselves! So cold though!!

Hi Matt, Congratulations on the "she said yes". I can only echo the comments above and say how great that shot is. That dark cloud above the plane really adds a sense of drama to the picture.

Thank you for the best wishes Steve! :)

That really is a WOW shot Matt. Quite a bit of noise when you pixel peak the full size image, but I don't think it detracts from the image.
Is it printed and up on your wall yet?

Yeah I noticed this also! Tricky enough to get a good exposure - fading light, snow throwing off WB - unfortunately meant I had to boost the exposure in PP (and with it introduced more noise) to get the shot I wanted.

Oh Wow - that is amazing...I mean that "she" said Yes ha ha - good luck to you both. Such a striking image - wonderfully composed and lit. Excellent stuff. Good luck with the '52
Thanks for the best wishes Carl - she is indeed a keeper! :)

That's a stunning photo, possibly one of my favourites so far. The way the shape of the clouds echoes the direction of the plane makes the shot. Stupid question maybe but is that the actual colour or did you add a blue tint?

Hi Nick! Not a stupid question! The weather was pretty dramatic I have to say - very dark 'snow filled' clouds overhead, but there probably was 'some' blueness added in PP - I liked the bleakness it added, giving a sense of how cold it actually was. I'd say it was more enhanced than added though! ;)

Right - time to upload week 2 (late I know!) and catch up on other submissions.
Thanks everyone! :)

Pleased for you both on the 'yes'

great picture very moody

So here's week 2 - 'Captive'
2/52 - Captive by Matt, on Flickr

Everyone, this is Dave - our ginger cat. Unfortunately (although kind of appropriate given this weeks theme) Dave is recovering from a broken pelvis and is therefore being kept 'captive' inside (& downstairs) until he's 100% recovered again. He's almost back to his normal self again now, so it kind of seemed fitting to include him in this week's shot!

I actually dug out my external flash for this, which took some getting used to again - not used it probably since my last 52 in 2013! It's not a perfect shot and I did get better shots of Dave - but nothing seemed to fit the theme quite as well as this one.
Anyway, on to week 3!

Poor little kitty. Good to hear he's getting better, that looks says "let me out of here!"
What is the colour version like? It would be nice to see the cat in colour, not sure that B&W is the right processing here.

I haven't comented on many 'captives' since 'miniature' came out but I like this.

Nice and sharp and I think the B&W works well, emphasizing the dark in the room against the light in the corridor and bringing out the texture in the wood. I also like the way the angles coincide with the DOF - the diagonals lead nicely into/out of focus.

Poor Dave. Nice "soft" looking image with excellent focus and DoF - love the expression which as you say is in context with the theme.

Poor Dave :(
I hope he recovers soon.

Nice interpretation Matt (y)

welcome back Matt

wow plane crash image, I can imagine it's a togger tourist attraction. You caught an interesting sky there.

captive is a beaut ... I think it's the focus on the cat with the blackness inside that makes it.

looks like Dave is trying to make his escape, good to hear he is on the mend.
Definitely fits the theme.

I like Captive in b@w and fab use of dof too. Dave definitely looks like he'd like to escape (y)

That catchlight in his eye really snaps the eyes to the focal point of the image :clap:

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Captive wasn't perfect, but as a shot it fit the theme well. I think the reason I went with the B&W, was the wood is pine - which is orangey, and Dave the cat is also ginger...that's a whole lot of orange for one photo! :)
I do like my B&W photography too, it's almost more forgiving when it comes to editing and exposure.

Anyway, on to week 3 - I've taken some shots, but I'm not overly happy with any of them so I'm going to tackle it some more over the weekend! /perfectionist. Then I'll get into week 4. So only a little bit late! (it was going to happen at some point!)
:)

liking Dave the cat, like the B&W treatment for the shot.

This week has been very busy with work - but I've finally managed to get Week 3 up!
Thanks again for the feedback on week 2, I'll get around to catching up with everyone else's submissions in the next few days.

Here's Week 3: Miniature:
3/52 - Miniature by Matt, on Flickr

Yup, that's Dave featuring again! Wasn't quite what I had in mind initially, but I actually liked this shot better than my intended one. I was trying to get more of a profile shot, but it's true what they say..."never work with animals..."

On to week 4! :)

Well done getting the cat to look at the miniature cat, nicely on theme, good sense of scale enhanced by the crop

Back