Woman hatches 3 duck eggs from Waitrose

Yes, we saw that on the news bulletin earlier today.

Quite an eye opener....... delightful ducklings :)

Bob it isn't quite so surprising to me, I used to send hatching eggs all over our country. Actually we did an export of a little ancient hard case of a rare breed ( chuck ) called Fayoumi to Africa. Hard to believe how strong an embryo can be, we think of eggs as so delicate

always cool to see some ducklings though !!

TFS

stu

Bob it isn't quite so surprising to me, I used to send hatching eggs all over our country. Actually we did an export of a little ancient hard case of a rare breed ( chuck ) called Fayoumi to Africa. Hard to believe how strong an embryo can be, we think of eggs as so delicate

always cool to see some ducklings though !!

TFS

stu
Stu, I think it was surprising as they were supermarket eggs and only at all likely because they are Braddock Whites (I buy them myself) and it’s hard to sex white feathered ducks so the odd drake gets through according to Clarence Court the producers — I would have thought they could spot them if they were paying attention to their though ;(. I do agree about mailing though as I’ve bought lots from EBay and the hatching rate was good.

What makes this more surprising is that allegedly she tried it after reading/hearing about someone who raised quail from supermarket eggs — as far as I know all quail eggs are potentially fertile because that’s how they have to be produced. At least that was true 20 years ago when I raised some.

Rich, 'erm I can vent sex ducklings at DO, Thank god I only got so far with chucks and vent sexing, jees mate there's a way to earn a crust looking up a chix bum all day every day :LOL:

I believe what you are saying to me,but i'm slightly dodgey ( understatement) about that bit CC are saying, Ha ha you are too already

You wont find me SURE very often Rich I constantly self doubt:) But that bit about white feathered dux being difficult to sex is absolute cobblers :LOL: I'm utterly sure and I have even never heard of braddock white either, so for me to be this sure is saying something . Mind i'd bet they have white cambell or runner in them unless they come from musky which they won't because they want egg numbers from the breed and musky won't give you that type of laying capacity that the cambells and runners have

Thats some form of marketing speil. Rich simply a male duck has a phallus so they are a doddle to sex at DO and when bigger the ducks ( female) quack and drakes do not they have that raspy type call.

I've played a tiny bit with japs Rich ,those are the commercial ones, but I can't remember if males have to be present for laying, Most egg laying in poultry is governed by daylight length, ie egg laying is a phototactic response. For the life of me I simply can't remember the quail, i've reared them mate but only small numbers, I have very little knowledge of quail. I'd be surprised if their egg laying cycle was not governed by daylight length as they are such a similar family to pheasant which is basically what hens are. but there is always some thiing to learn

Not sure there buddy i'm sure on those ducks though what a load of rubbish :) !! As you say mate it points to them not looking hard,but it's more cynical than that because of the ease of vent sexing which they are choosing to ignore 'cause joe public doesn't know

Rich, 'erm I can vent sex ducklings at DO, Thank god I only got so far with chucks and vent sexing, jees mate there's a way to earn a crust looking up a chix bum all day every day :LOL:

I believe what you are saying to me,but i'm slightly dodgey ( understatement) about that bit CC are saying, Ha ha you are too already

You wont find me SURE very often Rich I constantly self doubt:) But that bit about white feathered dux being difficult to sex is absolute cobblers :LOL: I'm utterly sure and I have even never heard of braddock white either, so for me to be this sure is saying something . Mind i'd bet they have white cambell or runner in them unless they come from musky which they won't because they want egg numbers from the breed and musky won't give you that type of laying capacity that the cambells and runners have

Thats some form of marketing speil. Rich simply a male duck has a phallus so they are a doddle to sex at DO and when bigger the ducks ( female) quack and drakes do not they have that raspy type call.

I've played a tiny bit with japs Rich ,those are the commercial ones, but I can't remember if males have to be present for laying, Most egg laying in poultry is governed by daylight length, ie egg laying is a phototactic response. For the life of me I simply can't remember the quail, i've reared them mate but only small numbers, I have very little knowledge of quail. I'd be surprised if their egg laying cycle was not governed by daylight length as they are such a similar family to pheasant which is basically what hens are. but there is always some thiing to learn

Not sure there buddy i'm sure on those ducks though what a load of rubbish :) !! As you say mate it points to them not looking hard,but it's more cynical than that because of the ease of vent sexing which they are choosing to ignore 'cause joe public doesn't know

I expect you are right about marketing lies. I’d never heard of Braddock Whites before either but you can call your strain anything you want really if you are not selling them. What I wrote was a bit misleading I agree, but I think it’s possibly reasonable to say males don’t stand out in white feathered -- I’m not familiar with these commercial breeds — if you are not looking properly. Not sure if ducks turn into drakes like hens turn into cocks, though even there (in my limited experience) the ‘turncocks’ (my made up word :) ) stand out because their legs don’t get any longer.

My only experience with quail was that my brother fancied some and when I looked it up it said all the shop ones were fertile due to males needing to be present. Also I think you can’t keep quails apart from their siblings because they fight to the death when introduced -- hence most of the present day cockfighting in UK is (indoors) with quail in Bradford etc as I understand.

Correct about day length, and my Rosecombs only ‘laid when the birds lay’, probably two clutches a year.

My quail rearing effort was ultimately unsuccessful as I put them out in a hen run but they could put their heads through the mesh to graze on the grass (or at insects, dunno) and I would find headless quail in the morning where the rats had got them :(.

you do get ducks turning into drakes and all that sex mixing up just like chucks Richard "turncocks " I like that :cool: I don't recollect the quail ever going out side Rich but your tale sadly rings true for me. I've always been bewildered by the ways that birds can find to meet an untimely end. nothing would shock me now

There was really good money in quail eggs at one time,as they eat so little compared to chucks and the eggs sell at a good price,but i've no idea at all where that stands now.

They never really got into my blood like the other birds so that's probably why I can't remember much,I have to say I had no idea what so ever about them being used for cock fighting :mad:

A tiny dig implies quail are phototactic like the rest ,folks keep a male for similar reasons to a cock bird in chucks He keeps the ladies in order and if fertile eggs are needed he is essential but it isn't to do with egg production persay. https://www.omlet.co.uk/guide/quail...n reduce the,be fertilised and then incubated.

A tiny dig implies quail are phototactic like the rest ,folks keep a male for similar reasons to a cock bird in chucks He keeps the ladies in order and if fertile eggs are needed he is essential but it isn't to do with egg production persay. https://www.omlet.co.uk/guide/quails/quail_eggs/males/#:~:text=You do not need a,for your ladies to lay.&text=The male can reduce the,be fertilised and then incubated.

Thanks, interesting. As I say, I was only ever interested in them that one time so I may have found an inaccurate web site — amazing, someone wrong on the internet :). A lot of sites are US for that sort of thing and people keep quite a variety of species of quail I seem to remember.

Back