Wontolla (My left foot) The full story on BBC iPlayer. UPDATE!

wontolla

Misery Guts Monica
Name
I'm not a Misery Guts and Monica is not my Moniker
Edit My Images
Yes
Any who missed it and would like to watch it, you can do so HERE. Fast forward to the last 10 mins!

Carrying on from THIS thread last month, when I had a slight accident in the Yorkshire Dales walking from Linton Church over to Rylstone & Cracoe.
About halfway between the Cracoe Tower Obelisk and Rylstone Cross (Rylstone Fell) I put my foot down a deep hole (unintentionally) left by recent heavy rain, it resulted in radial fractures of my Tibia and Fibula plus a broken ankle! It Hurt. Fortunately I had some good mates with me, (yeh, right!) and after they stopped laughing called the emergency services, namely The Yorkshire Air Ambulance.
The Lady Controller on the other end asked where we were, so I said to my walking bud, Dennis, hand me the phone, I gave her the map ref and told her what I had done, and she asked who I was, I told her that I was the one in the ditch with the injury and that I was the walk leader and a First Aider of 30+ years, she was quite shocked to hear I was the injured one!
I have to hand it to them, they arrived within 15 minutes from the controller saying they were on the way! Quick or what?

Here's the Helicopter just after touching down.

99 landed on Cracoe Fell - to rescue ME!
by wontolla1, on Flickr

These are NOT my pictures, they were taken by Dennis, one of my walking mates, taken on a Nokia 95 and Panny Lumix compact.

Last edited:
Sammy Wills, Helimed99 Paramedic. Thats me, in a ditch, and a girl holding my hand. Don't get any better, do it?

Sammy Wills, Hellimed 99 Paramedic asks "how did you get down here?" by wontolla1, on Flickr

Adie, one of my other walking mates, looks on as the Medics prepare me for the lift onto the stretcher.

Adie Moor, walking mate, looks on as the Medics prepare. by wontolla1, on Flickr

Hellimed99 with me halfway in and ready to go to Airedale Hospital. No idea who the bloke on the right is, but thanks for the help carrying the stretcher to the chopper!

Almost ready for the off! by wontolla1, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great to hear the full story and see the pic, how you feeling now, and whens it on TV

Forgot to say they are good, do a great job and thats why we have a monthly Direct Debit Donation to Northwest Air Ambulance

Great pics and I see your Title has changed to Heather :LOL:

Been feeling pretty low actually Dave, lot of pain still, but had my pot removed, still cannot put any weight on it for another 4 weeks. Getting stir crazy in the house with only visits to hospital to relieve the bordom!
Still, my Daughter is taking me to Hollingworth Lake tomorow for a nice lunch at the chippy!
Thanks for the comment Dave, I will pass them onto my mate, Dennis.
The Yorkshire Air Ambulance will be getting a visit from us (we have an invitation) as soon as I get a bit more mobile, and they will have a donation from myself and my mates who walk with me.
I must remember to thank Marcel for the name change.

The Story is on BBC1 this Friday Oct 26th at 0915. Helicopter Hero's.

Sorry folks, it is on BBC1! no idea why i said 2 !!

Last edited:
Been feeling pretty low actually Dave, lot of pain still, but had my pot removed, still cannot put any weight on it for another 4 weeks. Getting stir crazy in the house with only visits to hospital to relieve the bordom!
Still, my Daughter is taking me to Hollingworth Lake tomorow for a nice lunch at the chippy!
Thanks for the comment Dave, I will pass them onto my mate, Dennis.
The Yorkshire Air Ambulance will be getting a visit from us (we have an invitation) as soon as I get a bit more mobile, and they will have a donation from myself and my mates who walk with me.
I must remember to thank Marcel for the name change.

I bet you have been feeling down (no pun intended), sounds and looked to be very sore,, pleased the pots off, A day out at Hollingworth will be good for you too,

Look forward to seeing it on TV Friday, I will be watching 9-15am :)

Sorry to hear you've been feeling pretty low Barry. Guess that's what happens when you're very active and then confined to the same 4 walls. Hope you're back on your feet and back out walking soon (y)

I'll be at work on Friday, but I've set it to record.
TP's very own celebrity ;)

Hope you're fully mobile soon, Baz but don't rush it too much.

I bet you have been feeling down (no pun intended), sounds and looked to be very sore,, pleased the pots off, A day out at Hollingworth will be good for you too,

Look forward to seeing it on TV Friday, I will be watching 9-15am :)

Cheers Dave.
Just been told I can't take my 40d with me!
(but I will sneek my compact into my jacket pocket!)

Sorry to hear you've been feeling pretty low Barry. Guess that's what happens when you're very active and then confined to the same 4 walls. Hope you're back on your feet and back out walking soon (y)

I'll be at work on Friday, but I've set it to record.
TP's very own celebrity ;)

Thanks Andrew, I do have have several thousand piccy's to look at from my walkies, but just not the same!

Hope you're fully mobile soon, Baz but don't rush it too much.

Thanks Nod, same goes your way too, hope you are on the mend bud!
Don't worry, I am taking it easy!

Baz, I am well on the mend (again!), after a little bout of pneumonia which I picked up in Plymouth (nasty little bugs they have down there - and the germs are nasty too!). Probably not helped by me getting out and about too much too soon, although the fresh air made me feel a hell of a lot better at the time, after being cooped up indoors for 2 weeks in hospital and a fair while before that, sick at home.

As long as I don't have to be out on Friday morning, I shall be another glued to Helicopter Heroes at 09:15.

The efficiency and professionalism of air ambulance services (and come to that mountain rescue) is always impressive. Just be glad that you didn't have to call an emergency service that doesn't even know what a grid ref is:)

Glad to hear that you're recovering well

Ouch getting out blimey, nasty indeed.

15mins is just awesome response time.... thank goodness for mobiles.

Quite agree Adam, there are times when mobile phones are invaluable, and as I have stated before, the Air Ambulances are a fantastic resource that deserves all the support we can give.

Baz, I am well on the mend (again!), after a little bout of pneumonia which I picked up in Plymouth (nasty little bugs they have down there - and the germs are nasty too!). Probably not helped by me getting out and about too much too soon, although the fresh air made me feel a hell of a lot better at the time, after being cooped up indoors for 2 weeks in hospital and a fair while before that, sick at home.

As long as I don't have to be out on Friday morning, I shall be another glued to Helicopter Heroes at 09:15.

Glad to hear you are feeling better! Good news indeed. If we get to meet at one of TPs gatherings, we can compare scars and stuff!

The efficiency and professionalism of air ambulance services (and come to that mountain rescue) is always impressive. Just be glad that you didn't have to call an emergency service that doesn't even know what a grid ref is:)

Glad to hear that you're recovering well

Thanks Garry, cannot praise them enough, especially when the rescuers are volunteers. I must also say thanks to the M R guys who turned out in Cracoe to assist if needed, (in the pub car park) they even offered to lead the other lads of the hill, but I had already given them the map and directions to get down.
Thanks Upper Wharfedale Fell Rescue Association!
The log is HERE.

Excellent story...Your title has been Heather for a while now...Think it needs an update :p
I'm working on Friday, but I'll be downloading the episode on Friday afternoon :D

Glad to hear you're on the mend, if there's anything you need don't hesitate to give me a shout, you know Im only down the road....and with car.
(I've also not forgotten I need to drop that bag off!)

Excellent story...Your title has been Heather for a while now...Think it needs an update :p
I'm working on Friday, but I'll be downloading the episode on Friday afternoon :D

Glad to hear you're on the mend, if there's anything you need don't hesitate to give me a shout, you know Im only down the road....and with car.
(I've also not forgotten I need to drop that bag off!)

Thanks for the new title Marcel! (should it be stile?) (or 'Rylestone Fallguy')
Just got used to having a sex change!
Thanks for the offer too bud!

Good to hear your on the mend ...

Looking forward to Friday and your 15 minutes of fame :)

andyred said:
Good to hear your on the mend ...

Looking forward to Friday and your 15 minutes of fame :)

Thanks Andy, no idea what they will be showing, just hope it's not a dissapointment!

I've just been watching an episode of this on BBC1...What a damn fine job these guys do.

I've just been watching an episode of this on BBC1...What a damn fine job these guys do.

They certainly do Viv! And thanks for drawing my attention to putting the wrong channel!

It is of course BBC1!

Blame the meds, Baz!

Nod said:
Blame the meds, Baz!

Not for this one mate, it's oldtimers disease.

Shhhhhhhh! Nobody would have ever known!

My latest excuse is that I really DO have 3 holes in my head, although I reckon they're probably well on their way to healing over by now.

Shhhhhhhh! Nobody would have ever known!

My latest excuse is that I really DO have 3 holes in my head, although I reckon they're probably well on their way to healing over by now.

:LOL: Could be that some of your grey matter escaped before they did!

Great to see you again today Baz, your scars have healed well, just need to get you up and about now (y) looking forward to seeing you starring in the Rescue Baz Show in the morning :D

Great to see you again today Baz, your scars have healed well, just need to get you up and about now (y) looking forward to seeing you starring in the Rescue Baz Show in the morning :D

Cheers Dave, great to see you as well!
Left a comment on the thread about your RAF image.
Just been called in to the Docs surgery in the morning at 9AM, looks like I am anemic now! So i have set the recorder for tomorow and will watch it when I get back.

sky+ it.

great name for the starting church

Hah! This prog makes my bellybutton feel funny. I will miss it too as I'm at the Doctors for an appointment at that time. Should be back to see the last 10 mins of Jeremey Kyleon ITV though...Those all important lie detector/DNA results..

Baz, I'm so sorry to hear that you are feeling "low" at the moment, it is perfectly normal to feel this way post hospital stay.

Keep your chin up mate, you have lots of very good friends wishing you well :).

Andy

Cheers Dave, great to see you as well!
Left a comment on the thread about your RAF image.

Thanks Baz, I know how you must feel being down in the dumps Ive only been I'll and not able to go out for 18days, that was my first hour out, so 4 weeks must be well worse, and drive you crazy as your such an active walker, as said it was good to see you, looking forward to our barn trip, dont forget to record the TV

Barry, you're on now lol

Hehehe...so are we allowed to speak to you directly, or do we have to go through your agent now? :LOL:

Back