Wood desktop price

Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking to build my own desk and have been quoted a price of £265 for a piece of 23mm finished oak 1500mm x 750mm.

Can anyone advise if this is a decent price or should I be looking at another supplier

Get a couple of other quotes and (ideally) see the actual bit of wood you'll be getting.

I wouldn't build a desk out of a single piece of wood. Unlike a table where a single piece can look good, in a desk you are paying a lot of money (it is the width that is putting the cost up) for something that is likely to be covered with computers etc.

I wouldn't build a desk out of a single piece of wood. Unlike a table where a single piece can look good, in a desk you are paying a lot of money (it is the width that is putting the cost up) for something that is likely to be covered with computers etc.
I don't think it is a single plank but strips of wood

Some years ago I custom built an oak desk using an oak office table top bought from IKEA. The top was finished with real Oak veneer, edged in oak but made of particle board.

Thanks for that they look as though they only do set sizes however only had a brief look

Both offer a bespoke cutting service.

I don't think it is a single plank but strips of wood
Then why not buy the "strips" and build it yourself? If you are building the base this is just another step.

Then why not buy the "strips" and build it yourself? If you are building the base this is just another step.
Because I'm not skilled enough [emoji50] It's my fault for not making clear the plan. I will purchase the metal supports buy the top and fix to the supports to create the desk

Is there any specific reason the top has to be solid oak,I can see that for a table but it does seem a bit overkill for a desk.

Is there any specific reason the top has to be solid oak,I can see that for a table but it does seem a bit overkill for a desk.
Mainly because I like the look and solidity for using a monitor clamp. It also is relatively easy to refurbish in future. I could use a veneer but there didn't seem much difference in price between that and solid timber. Online some suggestions are to use kitchen worktops but they are generally pretty thick, too narrow in standard (cheaper) sizes plus they are incredibly heavy

Mainly because I like the look and solidity for using a monitor clamp. It also is relatively easy to refurbish in future. I could use a veneer but there didn't seem much difference in price between that and solid timber. Online some suggestions are to use kitchen worktops but they are generally pretty thick, too narrow in standard (cheaper) sizes plus they are incredibly heavy
Ok I understand

I recently did something similar but ended up changing from the size I wanted to fit with the standard worktop sizes you can find. A lot cheaper and size wasn’t much of a compromise for me. I went with walnut which was expensive but exactly what I wanted.

Worth considering.

I am looking to build my own desk and have been quoted a price of £265 for a piece of 23mm finished oak 1500mm x 750mm.

Can anyone advise if this is a decent price or should I be looking at another supplier

Ten years ago I built a new Altar for our church in memory of my wife
I bout the oak rough sawn from a timber yard in mid Wales. I don't think That I paid £250 for the lot. And it was a small van full.

Tops are always made by gluing up narrower pieces and alternating the natural curve of the grain.

Most furniture has been made by veneered cheaper wood since for ever. To day veneered block board or ply finished with hardwood edging is the best. And most stable.

Either which way you are going to have to learn rather a lot of advanced skills in short order, if you are likely to get a presentable result.

Best of luck.

A standard size kitchen worktop would be cheaper, but you need something wider. Get another quote or two for peace of mind and try to view, but £265 is not excessive.

Dunno - but add some electric legs and you'll have a beautiful sit/stand desk in solid oak for about £600. It will cost more than bolting a worktop to the wall but if you're using it a lot, there's something very satisfying about objects that are nicer than they need to be. Sounds a great deal to me.

Do you mean actual solid oak, as in one continuous piece, or bits stuck together? Cos the former is virtually impossible to find (needs a tree that's hundreds of years old, extremely rare) in such a width. So I'm assuming strips/blocks. A piece made of actual planks, will cost a lot more than a piece made of smaller blocks. For comparison; I supplied a piece to a friend some years ago; he wanted a particular shape cut, which for a one-off, many places were charging ridiculous sums. Like £250 for the bare wood, before any cutting or finishing. I sourced a nice piece of reclaimed old church seating, 2 planks jointed. Cut out shape, smoothed off top, finished off with oil. Bosh. He paid me the £250 he was quoted for the wood alone. So, depending on the quality of material, I'd say praps £265 for a piece of finished material isn't that bad tbh. You've got to take into account transportation costs, machine costs and maintenance, cutting blades etc. Stuff costs money. You could try finding summat at a reclaim yard, then doing the finishing yourself. Might involve a fair bit of work, not to mention all the mess etc. Stuff costs money.

Or you can peruse IKEA/online etc. Bit of the thinner (32mm?) kitchen worktop? Does it have to be Oak?

Beech is nice:

£75. Bargain.

Last edited:
Back