1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gramps

gramps

Edit My Images:
    No
    Three Wood Sandpipers have dropped in at Slimbridge over the last few days, a little more nervous than the Green Sandpipers and Redshanks but gave a few opportunities for some pics despite the horrible light.

[​IMG]
    Wood Sandpiper
    by Roger, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Wood Sandpiper
    by Roger, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Wood Sandpiper
    by Roger, on Flickr

Martin Clay and Phil-D like this.
  2. Rubber Soul

Rubber Soul

Name:
    Gary Cantwell
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Lovely shots Rodger, despite the horrible light.

3. Jannyfox

Jannyfox

Name:
    Jan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    The third is the best, not compositionally but of the bird. You've picked up so much detail in the plumage in the raised wings.

4. gramps

gramps

Edit My Images:
    No
    Thanks Gary, it wasn't a very productive day apart from these birds (when they came close enough!).

Thanks Jan, yes a little bit different :)

5. pooley

pooley

Name:
    Mike
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Nice to see Roger, but judging by your settings you had plenty more scope for raising the ISO - I'm regularly seeing excellent results from the D500 at 1600 and 3200. The first looks much better with a simple curves raise on the midtowns to brighten the bird, then mask off the water and a little more sharpening. Maybe wirth a look if these are a rarity.

Mike

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  6. gramps

gramps

Edit My Images:
    No
    Thanks Mike, I don't like higher ISO's on the D500 ... despite the launch hype I find it doesn't work well, for me, except under pretty much ideal conditions.
    In this instance the birds were at a distance and the light was bad both from above and reflecting on the water ... I hope to be able to get better shots before they go but posted them up as they are not a 'common' species.

wezza13 likes this.
  7. pooley

pooley

Name:
    Mike
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Interesting you say that about the D500 as others I know are having excellent results at higher ISO with it.

A little off topic admittedly, but maybe worth tagging @Phil-D in on this as he is pushing his really high with the long eared owls and its responding well even with shadow recovery. I don't use Nikon but there might be something in the settings you can use to improve things.

Mike

8. gramps

gramps

Edit My Images:
    No
    I think @Phil-D uses a D7200 doesn't he?
    Personally my D7200 could produce better image quality than the D500 but for me the issue is poor light, both in quality and direction, trying to shoot almost into 'mucky' bright light never works for me.

Phil-D likes this.
  9. pooley

pooley

Name:
    Mike
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    My mistake, yep, Phil does use the D7200, its his mate Dave thats got the D500, but all the reports I've seen and members of another forum I use all see the D500 as better than the D7200 so maybe its worth a look. I'll leave it there for you to decide

Mike

Phil-D likes this.
  10. Gremlin

Gremlin

Name:
    Ingrid
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Love the reflections and particularly the 3rd one, nice action.

I did think long and hard about the D500, but getting some good result with the D7100 and D7200
    so I'm quite pleased I never in the end

11. gramps

gramps

Edit My Images:
    No
    Thanks Ingrid, where the D500 scores (for me anyway) is in the superb AF.
    The D7200 in particular provides excellent results but lacks the superb AF of the D500, so if you don't need that the D7200 is possibly the best value DX camera available.

12. Gremlin

Gremlin

Name:
    Ingrid
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I don't seem to have a problem with the AF on either of mine, for me the biggest issue is the lack of on board flash,
    don't use it often but there are times when it is handy to have rather then carrying another flash around

13. gramps

gramps

Edit My Images:
    No
    I think you have to use a D500 to see the difference in AF Ingrid, particularly for BIF :)

14. JohnC6

JohnC6

Name:
    John
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Lovely shots,Roger. As you say,a challenging spot..Rushy Pen.. so hats off to you for getting it so well, especially the last one. I find Rushy Pen unappealing anyway but awful on a poor light day.

gramps likes this.
  15. wezza13

wezza13

Name:
    Wez
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hi Roger,

IMO, your shots don't look as clean(?) with the D500 as they were with your D7200. You had it mastered down to a tee. Not saying these shots are bad btw :)

But I'm pretty sure you're using different NR techniques in your workflow now, compared to when you had the D7200 iirc?

I just got rid of my D500 for a D3s. Sure, the AF isn't anywhere near as good but it's still really good! Looking to get out this week and see how it is for birds.

No matter how much I loved the D500, using it side-by-side with a D3s at my football matches, the D3s won hands-down everytime!

Do you still have your D7200 or did you sell it? I think you had it perfectly fine-tuned with your 500mm f4, producing wonderful results (y)

16. gramps

gramps

Edit My Images:
    No
    Thanks Wez, the D500 has a micro-grain effect on the images, if light is good it's fine but if it isn't then the image suffers more so than the D7200 I sold.
    I try to limit NR where I can but software of choice is Topaz ... the draw of the D500 is AF.
    I had 2 x D3s bodies and often regret selling them :)

wezza13 likes this.
  17. wezza13

wezza13

Name:
    Wez
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'm sure I'll regret selling the D500 soon! :D You're right, the draw is the AF. Best of both worlds would be a D5, bit too expensive though :)

18. gramps

gramps

Edit My Images:
    No
    Or the way over priced D850?

wezza13 likes this.
  19. wezza13

wezza13

Name:
    Wez
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    "
    • 153-point AF system with 30% more frame coverage than the D5"
    Wow :wideyed:

20. BillN_33

BillN_33

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    from the outset I always felt that the D500 images looked strange - I call it a "coal dust" effect

21. gramps

gramps

Edit My Images:
    No
    I could always sell the D500 + 500 f4 VR and use a D850 with my 300 f4 PF and crop to size ... much less to carry :D

It varies will light and cropping Bill, image quality wise it's not such a versatile camera as others I have used, but then there are a lot of captures I've had since getting the D500 that I wouldn't have got with other cameras so in some circumstances it's "coal dust" verses fuzzy blur! :)

wezza13 likes this.
  22. gramps

gramps

Edit My Images:
    No