Woodies.....

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
No
As everybody else is posting great spotted woodpeckers I thought I would share a few.........

2561593927_32887bed5f_o.jpg

2562382218_710e4433d2_o.jpg

2561581933_a41a702d0e_o.jpg

Feel free to play with piccies if you want........

Hey dude

The last one is the best imo, sort of like he has turned round and see you there and saying "Want some?" :LOL:

What set-up did you take them with?

Tony (y)

I have a whole bunch of shots like these..........(took around 1000 pics of the garden birds today.)
As all the birds are busy feeding their young at this time of year, they are always on the look out for grub, and as I feed them all year round I always have a stream of "visitors"!

As well as the usual bird feeders, I have been feeding the woodies on the tree in the picture for the last three years. I drilled some 6mm holes in the trunk and into the holes I hammer peanuts every day ............................... yes the neighbours do think I am mad! The peanuts squash into a soft paste which the woodies absolutely adore for their fledglings...........I think I "refilled" the tree 18 times today!

Normally I stand in my kitchen doorway and shoot, which is 15m away, but as the birds were so busy today I was able to stand about 6m away and shoot (No hide!) Pics were taken with a 40D and my 120-300 with a 1.4 converter.

This one was taken by my daughter with 20D/17-55........You can just make out the woody on the tree. Incidently, in the nest box above is a family of house sparrows, and the parents have also learned about the peanut splodge in the tree.

2562638138_24baf7bcea_o.jpg

Your daughter is getting better at photography by the day, that has got excellent DOF on that one (y)

And look at you showing off with your big lens :LOL:

hi there
woodpeckers have been known to take chicks from nests... hope yours stay safe...
mickytwoknives

Thanks for the comments everyone. As for the woodies going for other chicks - yes, I have seen it happen, but mine tend to be well behaved providing I keep the nut tree well stocked......................... at the moment the young goldfinches are trying their hardest to pretend to be woodpeckers, but they cannot seem to get the hang of it!

While "woody watching" this evening I noticed some strange behaviour from the male. I thought I saw this a few days ago, but I wasn't sure. Now having seen it much closer I reckon I have a clever woody visiting me:

He hammers out a LOT of food from the tree while pressing his body tight up against it in a cup shape, (to catch the bits of nuts) and only then does he fill up his crop/mouth from his "catch" before flying off to his young.....

2565578156_f9c639e0a7_o.jpg

Back