Critique Woodland birds with a 7D2 and Tamron 150-600 - Picture added

Name
Trev
Edit My Images
Yes
I managed a shoot yesterday with my 7D mkII and Tamron 150-600, both of these are new to me so there's a lot to learn. Overall I am pleased with the results, but I still haven't refined the settings on the camera, that's going to take a lot of trial and error.

8Q2A0754_Dunnock_15-03-18 by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

8Q2A0748_Nuthatch_15-03-18 by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

8Q2A0718_Chaffinch_15-03-18 by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

8Q2A0706_Chaffinch_15-03-18 by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.
C & C Welcome

Good selection Trev ...... maybe just a tad "bright" or overexposed thru PP or whatever ....... last three

bringing back highlights or exposure would do it ...... and tweaking the contrast may help

you can always check the histograms .... I just looked at the one for the Nuthatch

what do you think?

Last edited:
Thanks Bill. I did boost the highlights, but have kept them under the 255 on the histogram in LR. There is also a boost in clarity. I can see what you mean, yet looking at Flickr where I host them, they are not quite so over done, but its marginal. This is definitely PP and not exposure, I boosted them because the light wasn't the greatest on the day, but it was still enough though. I'll have another play and check them out (y)

Nice selection Trev, I can't be sure but it looks from the 1st couple that focus is just in front of the birds ... I had to do a +4 adjustment on mine, maybe worth checking yours more specifically :)

A really good start with that combo, Trev (y)
- looks like you have a winning set-up there, to further experiment with the settings. My only minor crit is that there appears to be a slight blue cast on the Nuthatch and Chaffinch :thinking:

Russ
Cheers Russ. Any new set up has a learning curve, and I'm at the bottom so far, I am happy with it though and there's room to play and improve. Regarding the cast, I think I can see what your looking at, not sure if its a cast though, I'll go back to basics and check it out (y)
Nice selection Trev, I can't be sure but it looks from the 1st couple that focus is just in front of the birds ... I had to do a +4 adjustment on mine, maybe worth checking yours more specifically :)
Thanks Gramps. I did a check with a focus chart before I used it and it didn't need any adjustment. However, when I saw the results in RAW I did question the focus on the eyes, time to check again I think (y)

What a great first set from your new gear,i do agree with the PP comments but thats easy to solve,my 150-600 needed +9

What a great first set from your new gear,i do agree with the PP comments but thats easy to solve,my 150-600 needed +9
Thanks Mike, all comments taken on board, it all helps to get things right, sometime I cant see the wood for the trees, extra eyes can be a massive help. cheers (y)

Waste of money. You'd have been better saving it and spending it on me when you come up here.o_O

Waste of money. You'd have been better saving it and spending it on me when you come up here.o_O
Wow Brash, coming from you that's praise indeed, I've never known you gush like that over someone else's work, thank you.
For that, I will make a point of buying you 2 cups of tea when we meet :wave:

Wow Brash, coming from you that's praise indeed, I've never known you gush like that over someone else's work, thank you.
For that, I will make a point of buying you 2 cups of tea when we meet :wave:

I don't drink tea, coffee or alcohol;)

Very nice set,Trevor. As mentioned one or just need bringing back a bit.

Thanks Mark, Russ, and Kevin, I can see a lot of learning, and at my age it takes time to sink in lol (no comments please :oops: :$). Its a bigger changeover from the 7D mkI than I anticipated, and much more to master than I expected, but I am very pleased with the results so far and can see a lot of potential with it.

Last edited:
Great shots but still lacking what I call 'bite' - Too down on the blacks in my opinion. All down to post-processing I reckon. It looks to me as if you have lightened the shadows too much.

That last 'Nutty' image is better but still not quite there on shadows and bite.

Great shots but still lacking what I call 'bite' - Too down on the blacks in my opinion. All down to post-processing I reckon. It looks to me as if you have lightened the shadows too much.

That last 'Nutty' image is better but still not quite there on shadows and bite.
The PP needed on the mk II is so much different from the mk I that I am used to, however, that shouldn't really make a difference to my workflow. The shadows haven't been boosted Robin, and the blacks are right at the bottom of the histogram, that of course isn't the be all and end all, its a guide for sure but it what the image looks like that matters not what the computer says is right.
I feel quite happy with the last nutty TBH, but I respect your opinions and thank you for giving them (y). As has been said too many times, its all very subjective. I will take another look at the blacks just for my curiosity though.

I agree that the black across the eye looks deep black as it should but there's just something about the image as a whole that is just a wee bit pale to my eyes - Sorry I don't know what it is. It's that thing I call 'bite'. I'm probably looking at it too hard.

Maybe pop is another word for bite Robin, I'm not sure. I will take another look at the PP I used. I wonder if anyone else feels it needs a boost. It's that subjective thing again isn't it. If an image jumps out at me then I feel that something is overdone that's making it pronounced in some way. Thanks for your thoughts Robin it's appreciated.

Looking at it on here it looks over cooked

Looking at it on here it looks over cooked
Yes, TBH it looks overcooked to me Mike, the blues on the back are not natural. Thanks for taking the time to do an edit though (y) Personally I think that the colours in my edit looks more like the bird in the wild, but that's just my perception and I welcome other views.

@Trev4 Hi Trev, I do think that Mike's 'boost' or whatever he has done makes all the difference but agree about the overcooked blues. Your image now has that 'bite' (you can see it in the tree bark).

Regardless of my nit-picking it's a superb capture and such a very typical image of the species - Very nice indeed.

@Trev4 Hi Trev, I do think that Mike's 'boost' or whatever he has done makes all the difference but agree about the overcooked blues. Your image now has that 'bite' (you can see it in the tree bark).

Regardless of my nit-picking it's a superb capture and such a very typical image of the species - Very nice indeed.
Thanks Robin, the usual woodland culprits seemed a good choice for the first try out of this set up, and the nutty always seems to offer a good pose (show offs lol).
I don't mind nit picking, its how we learn, by reading and listening to others views, right or wrong, its what the sensible part of the forum is about. Its some time since I did any proper PP work and I think you do loose your eye after a time, so thanks for all your thoughts (y)

One thing to keep in mind Trev is that as you know everyone has a different monitor calibration, over the years this has caused a majority of the "bun fights".
I'm also not convinced that images show well on TP these days for some reason and editing other people's low res images is a waste of time IMHO.
Great to see you are a lot more positive about your new set up (y)

One thing to keep in mind Trev is that as you know everyone has a different monitor calibration, over the years this has caused a majority of the "bun fights".
I'm also not convinced that images show well on TP these days for some reason and editing other people's low res images is a waste of time IMHO.
Great to see you are a lot more positive about your new set up (y)
Thanks Neil. I do agree with you about calibration, its something I have kept in mind during this thread (and others of course), but haven't included it in the conversations. Add to this the fact that we all perceive colours etc. somewhat differently and have differing preferences, then there is never a true answer for everyone. Its a case of generalising really, yet rarely is there a compromise.
Yes, the new setup seems fine thanks, after the first camera body I was unsure if it was me being stupid and not getting to grips with the settings properly, now I have a replacement its a world of difference, I know the first one was faulty without doubt. Matched with the Tammy it seems a good combo, a lot to learn but satisfying with pleasing a reliable results (y)

Back