Workflow with SSD and External SATA

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I've upgraded my OS hard drive to a 128gb SSD and have a 2tb external SATA where I copy all my images to. I'm currently working from the SATA so am not getting the best out of my upgrade. Obviously I can copy my current shots from camera to SSD, but what is the easy way of going back to older shoots/folders and working on those that are already stored on my ext. HD?

Last edited:
I'm using Darktable and Raw Therapee, Darktable is better for file navigation.

What make of external drive and is it USB3?

Keep your OS and program/app files on the SSD and your images on the external, the only slow down is reading and writing, having your images on the SSD will give no advantage to you whilst working on them and you will soon fill the SSD with image files...

Keep your OS and program/app files on the SSD and your images on the external, the only slow down is reading and writing, having your images on the SSD will give no advantage to you whilst working on them and you will soon fill the SSD with image files...

Thanks, that's how I've got it set up at the moment and the above underlined is what I really wanted to know. I was thinking once they're in the RAM it doesn't matter, but was wandering about opening/saving etc which I guess is not worth the hassle of changing my current setup.

Last edited:
Back