World Superbikes Donington 2019

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
Shooting at Donington is getting more and more difficult due to more catch fencing and also a secondary fence meaning that you can't get right up to the catch fencing, but here's my efforts from the weekend.

NZ7_1716
by TDG-77, on Flickr

NZ7_1760
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P7070252-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P7071385-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P7072143-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P7072273-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P7073375-Edit 2
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P7073404-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Nice Snerks, colours are pretty accurate but the files look a little flat.
Thanks. I thought they might have been a tad over saturated tbh :eek:

Really struggled with the the high contrast due to strong sunlight, and then the infernal catch fencing :(

Lol. Just had a quick flick through my photo stream and apart from the odd one I wouldn’t say they were any flatter than my other motorsport shots, do all my shots look flat?

Had a quick look, the Oly stuff just doesnt punch like the Nikon. The FF files look much better, could be the glass/colour/sensor but likely all of the above as a combo.

Last edited:
Had a quick look, the Oly stuff just doesnt punch like the Nikon. The FF files look much better, could be the glass/colour/sensor but likely all of the above as a combo.
It’s not going to tbh, you’ve got one shot with an f1.8 portrait lens with very shallow DOF vs one at 800mm eq so plenty on compression and large DOF. I’d love to be able to shoot with a 600mm f4 but there’s no way on earth I could afford one and with the fibro no way I could manage one.

I don’t think there’s a lot in it between the Olly pics and my Nikon shots with the 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 in terms of ‘pop’ tbh, but I’m never going to get that ‘look’ that I love.

Coincidentally I was looking at a load of photos of a Flickr member who clearly has media access to the Moto GP and his track shots certainly had the wow factor and the same type of ‘look’ that mine do shot with the 85mm f1.8 on the Nikon. It was no surprise that they were shot with the 600mm f4 and 500mm f4, there’s just no substitute for fast primes on FF. As good as the Olly 40-150mm f2.8 and 300mm f4 are (they are damn sharp) they just don’t render in the same way as a 70-200mm f2.8 or 600mm f4.

I will never get rid of FF for this reason but I have to realise my financial and physical limitations and so the Olly serves me well. I’m ‘happy’ with the images even if they don’t have that ‘wow’ factor (y)

It’s not going to tbh, you’ve got one shot with an f1.8 portrait lens with very shallow DOF vs one at 800mm eq so plenty on compression and large DOF. I’d love to be able to shoot with a 600mm f4 but there’s no way on earth I could afford one and with the fibro no way I could manage one.

I don’t think there’s a lot in it between the Olly pics and my Nikon shots with the 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 in terms of ‘pop’ tbh, but I’m never going to get that ‘look’ that I love.

Coincidentally I was looking at a load of photos of a Flickr member who clearly has media access to the Moto GP and his track shots certainly had the wow factor and the same type of ‘look’ that mine do shot with the 85mm f1.8 on the Nikon. It was no surprise that they were shot with the 600mm f4 and 500mm f4, there’s just no substitute for fast primes on FF. As good as the Olly 40-150mm f2.8 and 300mm f4 are (they are damn sharp) they just don’t render in the same way as a 70-200mm f2.8 or 600mm f4.

I will never get rid of FF for this reason but I have to realise my financial and physical limitations and so the Olly serves me well. I’m ‘happy’ with the images even if they don’t have that ‘wow’ factor (y)

It’s not just the longer stuff. The main thing is that it suits your requirements, just something I noticed. Still great shots.

It’s not just the longer stuff. The main thing is that it suits your requirements, just something I noticed. Still great shots.
Yeah I notice it too. Landscapes and the like are fine imo, but my shots taken with the 45mm f1.8 and 56mm f1.4 don’t compare to the 85mm f1.8 on the Nikon. Maybe if I got an f0.95 lens for the Olly I could get that look I like, but I don’t need I’m lucky to have FF too.

The only M4/3 lens I’ve seen that comes close to the FF ‘pop’ is the Panny Leica 42.5mm f1.2, that renders nicely. The 75mm f1.8 has nice subject isolation and renders nice too, but doesn’t have that same ‘roundness’ imo.

Back