Wreck of a Tugboat

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
No
Something I've been waiting to have a go at for a little while but access is very dependent on tides. Finally got an hour down there yesterday.

It's the remains of 3 tugboats that ran aground in the early 80's. Mainly the engine blocks and bits and pieces left now.

I'm happy-ish with it but will be going back when the light is a bit flatter to have another go.

Anyway comments good or bad or indifferent welcome.

Remains Of Tugboat Wreck

Last edited:
Can see what you mean Danny but its not the grad line, its the colour of the rock itself but would probably look better if it was lighter.

I really like the composition and the angles of rock all leading to the wreck.

My only niggle is the lack of contrast between the wreck and the rocks. They've come out the same tone.

It would be interesting see a colour shot. If there was enough difference in colour between the wreck and the rocks then a different conversion could retain that contrast.

Ah sorry Gary, I just asumed it was caused by grads. Maybe just leave it then if it's true to the actual scene.

Really nice shot though (y)

When I first saw the line I thought the same. So much so that I looked at the pics I'd taken on my iPhone when I was trying different compositions and saw that it was the rock itself.

I really like the composition and the angles of rock all leading to the wreck.

My only niggle is the lack of contrast between the wreck and the rocks. They've come out the same tone.

It would be interesting see a colour shot. If there was enough difference in colour between the wreck and the rocks then a different conversion could retain that contrast.

Thanks Phil. I'm sure it could be better with some localised contrast. The colour pic doesn't really show a great deal of contrast between the engine and the rocks. It's all very muted and monotone even in colour. I will probably have a play and try and bring it out a bit more.

Don't do much landscape work so my PP skills aren't that great.

I like this Gary - nice and gritty!

The way the engine block is complemented by the rock behind being almost at the same angle is great as well

Really like that Gary - they're some awesome looking peaks on the right! Where is this?

Only crit is I'd maybe look at softening the grad line on that big rock in the middle of the frame with an adjustment brush or something similar - the difference in exposure kinda stands out.

It's near Solva in Pembrokeshire. Only found out about it a couple of months ago. Can't remember reading or hearing about it at the time. the rock structure in that area is very varied. It's about 100-120 feet from beach to cliff top.

I like it but I would darken the rocks and engine block as that brings out the shine on the rocks etc more.

^^ This^^ otherwise very nice composition :)

Back