Wren

Edit My Images
No
Bit of a bit crop - but I can never catch this little fellow...... just a walk about shot

and I have had to apply lots of NR

not sure how to attract these birds (to feed in the garden)

Wren.jpg

Last edited:
I'd like to know how to attract them two we have a visitor wren from time to time and i've seen it coming out from the cracks of a stone wall next to the kitchen. Lovelly bird but too small and too fast! Nice picture, very smooth background and a nice pose. I like to see the color of the bird which i had never really noticed before.

Look to the Latin "Troglodytes troglodytes" they like dark places like little caves to hunt and hide in Thick shaded vegetation like Pyrocantha is good. Of course this does not create good conditions for photography but if they are present you may catch them out displaying and singing in the spring.

You did catch this one Bill and I love it, and a nice picture it is :clap::clap::clap::clap:.

I occasionally see two at a time in the garden not sure they are him and her or otherwise,

They flit around a nice bush and don't seem to interact with other birds.

Have photo' one, just saw it coming towards me and pressed the button appropriately.

A chance shot, But that's the way for most of us with limited time and resources

Great shot by the way...

:)

Nice shot Bill. Assume there's no chance to crop any further otherwise I'd say for me there's too much space around the bird.

Nice shot Bill. Assume there's no chance to crop any further otherwise I'd say for me there's too much space around the bird.

Morning Chris

My view about the crop was to emphasis the size of the bird, plus the IQ and noise in the bird is not good

more of an ID shot

We have them in the garden and along the lane but they eat insects and similar so there is hardly a chance of getting them near a feeder

We have one that nests in the Virginia Creeper, but it rockets in and out and it's so small I can never focus upon it

Thanks everyone for your comments - another amazing example of the diversity of bird species

Mealworms ,preferably live,and a good bird caller works everytime...

Thanks Den - I usually use dried meal worms in the stuff that I throw around it the garden, cannot find them in France, so I buy them in the UK - I have tried maggots that fishermen use as they are freely available in the local Supermarket, but the birds tend to ignore these - the dried meal worms work very well, especially with Redstarts - I don't go for "bought feeders" - I usually place seed etc., near and under small bushes

If you get dry ,and i do as well, what i do is soften them up a bit in a bag and just pop in some hot water.
Now some may say its cheating but i do use a caller (out of breeding season) to help get them intrested in the area i want to try and photograph .
If i dont use a caller its pot luck,but a caller gives you a better chance ,also when the bird hears the call he will ,nine times out of ten land in the same spot all the time ,he will then obviously scoot around but as said will come back to same spot,thats when the mealworm and postioning of camera and myself to get the shot is the next step...
At the end of the day its down to how much you want a good shot (close) of a Wren,some can be perfectly happy with a few grab shots but persevere with the mealworms and a caller and you will literally have the Wren eating out of your hand

Last edited:
Well that Wren is defiantly sticking her tail up to you.:0

You cannot attract a Wren you have to wait and see what they do and where. They are a creatures of habit,like the Robin. Just more flighty.

One of the best though,congratulations.

Last edited:
Smart shot, Bill...like the pose and the BG. I have one in the garden, but I never see it, only hear its wonderful call.

I use mealworm too in the garden. I was hoping to give a treat to the robin who has been a regular but very ephemeral visitor but it seems that the starlings are very quick at getting them! I've been soaking them in cold water but they don't soften that much, i'll try warm/hot water next time and hopefully both robin and wren can have a pick at them before the starling scuff them down. The robin in not the tame sort really i cannot put the mealworm out once he's here because at the first movement or door opening he's off!

Last edited:
Try water - I have had them come to water in the garden, does not have to be anything fancy.Small bitsof suet / fat also work.

Good luck

Back