Writing an ebook and publishing it.

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone written an Ebook and published it? I have been looking at Kindle Direct Publishing and it just seems a little too easy. Simply write the book in PDF I think it is, and upload it to Amazon KDP, and it can be converted to an Ebook. Even very short books with thirty or so pages can be uploaded.

Has anyone written an Ebook and published it? I have been looking at Kindle Direct Publishing and it just seems a little too easy. Simply write the book in PDF I think it is, and upload it to Amazon KDP, and it can be converted to an Ebook. Even very short books with thirty or so pages can be uploaded.

Yep, it's pretty easy. I've written a first draft and have looked into KDP. I use Scrivener and am able to output it as a .mobi file but I believe you can upload it as a pdf although you may not have as much control of out the end product appears.

Is it a book about your Mrs?

No, I am trying to keep it under a thousand pages. ;) I have had a little idea brewing for some time. It is a short book, that I have in mind.

Yep, it's pretty easy. I've written a first draft and have looked into KDP. I use Scrivener and am able to output it as a .mobi file but I believe you can upload it as a pdf although you may not have as much control of out the end product appears.

So it is that easy then, I will go and have a nosey at Scrivener . Although I may be able to simply upload it as a pdf, as it will be a simple short book.
Thanks.

I have downloaded Kindle Create, I am seeing if I can do anything with the software.

It is very easy if you just follow the steps with Kindle Create. A printed book is much more tricky to upload to Amazon and you really need to know what is required.

I have also loaded up the dummy text, just to see how things work. It did look a little daunting at first, just figuring my way around it now.

I've written a couple, for example this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L2FWXGC

They sell pretty well, but Amazon completely dominates the market and net receipts are low. I looked at the Scrivener software but it isn't necessary, it works well just written in Word.
It is very easy if you just follow the steps with Kindle Create. A printed book is much more tricky to upload to Amazon and you really need to know what is required.
The printed books are far more suitable where photos are included and these need to be uploaded in pdf format, but it isn't difficult.

It is a very short book that I am writing, and I have have just started writing it in Google Docs. I am brand new to all this, and I don't even know how to format it for KDP. Amazon says it is simple to do. But I have no idea how to even make the book cover. It is a very short book, and I already have all the content. It is just a case of typing it all out, with headings etc.

It is a very short book that I am writing, and I have have just started writing it in Google Docs. I am brand new to all this, and I don't even know how to format it for KDP. Amazon says it is simple to do. But I have no idea how to even make the book cover. It is a very short book, and I already have all the content. It is just a case of typing it all out, with headings etc.

I believe that KDP has a cover creator as part of the upload process.

Word is software written by the devil as part of a deal for Bill Gates' soul. :p
It also works and is universal, there's no need to learn yet more software.
And don't forget that every book needs the input of an editor, it helps if everyone involved is familiar with the same software . . .
I believe that KDP has a cover creator as part of the upload process.
Yes, and it's excellent. Basically just create the cover in PS or similar and then use the cover creator to put it all together.

It also works and is universal, there's no need to learn yet more software.
And don't forget that every book needs the input of an editor, it helps if everyone involved is familiar with the same software . . .

I'm not sure that every book needs the input of an editor but certainly a proof reader (and mine lives with me) but Scrivener can output in Word format if required.

Mine will be a very short book, with short notes. Mine will hardly be worth getting an editor involved.

Back