Wuppertal Schwebebahn

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Just back from visiting Dusseldorf and Wuppertal in NW Germany mainly to see the unique suspended railway.
Weather was very atmospheric (a.k.a. foggy) so photos weren't great, this one gives you the general idea though.
The line runs for 13km following the route of the Wupper river along the valley and was opened in 1901
Its the main transport for the residents and not viewed as a tourist attraction, but it is a really great experience.

Pictured is one of the newer sets with the panoramic window at the rear, managed to get seated there for one complete trip.

Wuppertal-1.JPG

Wow, thats brilliant transport and a good picture showing it. Looks interesting to ride.

Wow, thats brilliant transport and a good picture showing it. Looks interesting to ride.

It is very interesting and wouldn't hesitate to go again in hopefully better weather..
This is Landgericht, one of the more ornate Art Nouveau style stations

Wuppertal 2-1.JPG

Wuppertal's monorail is fascinating, isn't it. I was there in 2006 or 2007 doing some customer support for Bayer, who have a large site by the town. Unfortunately the system was shut for repairs at the time, and I didn't get to ride, but IIRC the carriages were much older than that, and in keeping with the rest of the system your pic shows - thanks for the reminder.

Wuppertal's monorail is fascinating, isn't it. I was there in 2006 or 2007 doing some customer support for Bayer, who have a large site by the town. Unfortunately the system was shut for repairs at the time, and I didn't get to ride, but IIRC the carriages were much older than that, and in keeping with the rest of the system your pic shows - thanks for the reminder.

They do also have some older carriages, rode on them too, will see if I can clean one of those photos up.
Every now and then for heritage days they bring out the really old "Kaiserwagen" it dates from 1910
Bayer still have a large plant there, think I'm right in saying its where Aspirin was first made.

Well, that's on my list of places to visit. Cheers

Well worth a visit, only 30 minutes from Dusseldorf and the Wuppertal Hbf is adjacent to the suspension railway station.
We also wandered around the town, my wife's friend lives there and gave us a tour
Strange seeing two old shops long gone here, C&A and Woolworth, some lovely old buildings too

Last edited:
Thanks for posting these.
I visited Wuppertal in the 70’s when I worked for a supplier to the furniture trade. Not sure if it is still a furniture producing area.
We didn’t have time to ride the Sban, always intended to go back but never have.

Again sorry for the misty look, weather really wasn't too jolly.
This is one of the older sets, no panoramic windows, but more comfortable seats :)

Wuppertal 3-1.JPG

Last one, just couldn't salvage much else, rest too badly afflicted by the valley fog, only just missed being there with 40cms of snow.
My ICE train to Cologne was delayed due to heavy snow and no other countries trains don't just carry on regardless
Does take a while to get used to the rather surreal sight of a tram travelling overhead, for 3km at one end of the line runs above the streets

Wuppertal 4-1.JPG

Last edited:
A unique experience no doubt, could be scary when it suddenly appears from from above the rooftops!

I'm not so sure hanging it above a river, or anything really, is such a good idea though, if that details and drops the passengers are going to be in serious difficulty.

I'm not so sure hanging it above a river, or anything really, is such a good idea though, if that details and drops the passengers are going to be in serious difficulty.

Only ever had one accident and that was when a maintenance worker left a clamp on the track after overnight work.
Carriages fell into the river and landed on one of the steam pipe bridges that cross at various intervals.

They now run a service through both ways every morning at slow speed before its open to the public to check for potential hazards.

Back