WW2 Churchill MkII Tank

Name
Graeme
Edit My Images
No
The remains of a WW2 Churchill MkII Tank belonging to the 14th Canadian Tank Battalion, that broke down on the South Downs in Sussex, whilst they were training for the Dieppe Raid that took place on 19th August, 1942.
The tank was then used for target practice with armour piercing bullets.
After the war the tank was buried in a nearby bomb crater but was unearthed in 1993 by the REME who salvaged various parts for the restoration of Churchill tanks in the Tank Museum in Dorset.
It was manouvred to the side of the field where it lies to this day.

Churchill MkII Tank i by Graeme Hutson, on Flickr
Churchill MkII Tank c by Graeme Hutson, on Flickr
Churchill MkII Tank a by Graeme Hutson, on Flickr
Churchill MkII Tank j by Graeme Hutson, on Flickr

The first one is the pick for me as a photograph, interesting information on the post though and the last shot shows the performance of armour piercing rounds very well

Paul

First and last shots for me, interesting photo's and a good historical record. I wonder how they would look in monochrome, particularly the first shot with that great sky.

Roger

First and last shots for me, interesting photo's and a good historical record. I wonder how they would look in monochrome, particularly the first shot with that great sky.

Roger

The first one is the pick for me as a photograph, interesting information on the post though and the last shot shows the performance of armour piercing rounds very well

Paul

Thanks for taking the time to comment.
If ever you're in the area it's a great walk with wonderful views across the downs to the sea.
Here is my attempt at monochrome.
Churchill MkII Tank B&W a by Graeme Hutson, on Flickr
Churchill MkII Tank B7W b by Graeme Hutson, on Flickr

I like the first one in monochrome,but the misses prefers it in colour!

Roger

:agree:

yes..war shots seem to be more war-ish if b>w with some grit
cheers
geof

Back