Wye Dean Rally ( more yes)

Snooky

Suspended / Banned
Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Was a cold start for me, and learnt something to from the experience- take a flask and boots and not to rock up in trainers and football socks!

first attempt at this kinda thing, panning, timing of shots and positioning!
c/c welcome

Wye Dean rally by Andy-Snook, on Flickr

Was good morning out! Wrecked trainers and cold feet but was worth it! Have got some of the cars coming at me from the straight just before the corner will have to upload!

Good set there for first time. No.7 for me...I like the low angle.

Would be worth playing with slower shutter speeds next time. Your hit rate will reduce but you'll get images that give that sense of speed. Nothing beats rallying for getting close to the action. Glad you enjoyed it...even with cold feet :)

Snooky, I don't claim to be an expert but I do shoot some motorsport, mainly the two wheeled variety, but if you want some cc I will share my 2d worth! Most of the shots are a bit static for me. Panning is not easy and personally if I get more than a 50% hit rate I'm quite happy, (depending on the circumstances, and also what you consider a 'hit' of course). But I do like to see some movement in the shot, even if it is only the spokes of the wheels of the subject. Ideally (for me) the subject will be mainly sharp (except wheels) and the background and foreground will show motion blur. That's the classic (panned) motor sport action shot. Some times a fair degree of blur is quite acceptable in the subject as well, but then it becomes a very much personal taste, subjective opinion as to what works and what doesn't. Of all your shots i think No 6 is probably the best because the mud being thrown up gives that sense of movement and power. I would however crop a bit closer. As for most of the shots. Subjects could, generally speaking be a bit sharper, though having said that it's good that at least you've thrown the background oof with short dof. There are some blown highlights, which is also difficult to avoid whilst maintaining correct overall exposure, which you have fairly much achieved (notable exception is No 2 where the sky is nicely exposed but the subject is a bit under). Main thing is don't be put off. Go back and do more. For a first attempt these aren't at all bad. Hope you find this constructive and also get some more advice from contributors more experienced than me. (Somebody posted while I was writing this which I haven't read)

Back