Xterra offroad triathlon UK 2007

Name
martin
Edit My Images
No
Xterra triathlon UK 2007

I thought I would share some photos from a recent triathlon I covered with you and talk about the technique used to capture them.

On the first two photos I was at the top of a very steep hill, most of the cyclists were reduced to walking with their bikes due to the steepness of the hill – I wanted to capture several shots of each and every rider and to also produce some “in the face” shots as well as shots showing the sheer height of the hill
These two shots were taken about 20 seconds apart. The first shot was taken using a canon 1ds with 300mm lens with a 1.4 extender – hand held, (iso 400/f5.6/1000th sec)

E24W8254.jpg

I then quickly swapped to my second body and took some shots at 24mm. (iso 400/f6.3/500th sec)
D9CA8189.jpg

Using this technique I was able to get about 3 shots with each camera of each competitor as they went past.

Later in the race the competitors had to run up another very steep hill nearby, this time I planned to take 1 or 2 shots of each runner “loose” to show the environment, and the other runners and then to take a second group of shots “tighter” when the runner was much closer. (iso500/f5/1/500th) it was a good plan and when it worked it worked well

E24W8698.JPG
E24W8699.jpg
–
Unfortunately I was taking photos of the cyclists from the other direction (behind me) as well so I had little time to plan shots.

D9CA8768.jpg

Later the runners run back down the hill again and as I had spent all day taking photos I was sure I had photos of everyone so I experimented, as I was planning to try to get some of the photos published. I decided to get some ground level shots as the runners went past – I set the 1d up at 24mm set the focus to manual – about 3-4metres set the exposure to manual (I used the trees I think) and just held the camera on the ground pointing up and did a burst of 8-10 frames as the runners went past – some worked better then others.

D9CA8781.jpg
D9CA8814.JPG

The end result was about 1000 shots uploaded to my website for sale (my wife was taking shots at the swim and finish line as well) and I was also paid for 10 photos that were published in the 220 triathlon magazine (issue 214 pgs 60-63, 98), which made me smile as this was my first paid for publication,

Nice photos. It's obvious you planned well, you know your subject and you know your equipment. A standard that probably many of us would be very happy to one day achieve, myself included.

I reckon you deserve the published photos ... good work :)

P.S. Don't think that last guy on the left felt quite so positive ;)

LOL ... did you disillusion him later?

Back