Yacht sunset

RKC

Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
C&C welcome

IMG_2077-HDR-2.jpg

Bob , Sorry this doesn't work for me , The GOLDEN GLOW is on the wrong side of the subject matter ,
Land building in shadow , Yacht in shadow , and that signiture :oops: :$ I cant stop looking at it , distracting ,
I do understany you want it for a reason

There are some issues with the exposure, it doesn't look natural due to the difficulty of shooting into the sun and trying to recover details. The sky is a bit too dark and parts of the picture look oversaturated. If you've got Lightroom the HDR merge is very good if you bracketed exposures at the time, allowing you to get a natural looking image from the DNG it produces. I agree with Allen about the watermark, it's worth spending time on creating a classy signature or logo, it should be a seal of quality rather than detracting from a picture.

Bob , Sorry this doesn't work for me , The GOLDEN GLOW is on the wrong side of the subject matter ,
Land building in shadow , Yacht in shadow , and that signiture :oops: :$ I cant stop looking at it , distracting ,
I do understany you want it for a reason

There are some issues with the exposure, it doesn't look natural due to the difficulty of shooting into the sun and trying to recover details. The sky is a bit too dark and parts of the picture look oversaturated. If you've got Lightroom the HDR merge is very good if you bracketed exposures at the time, allowing you to get a natural looking image from the DNG it produces. I agree with Allen about the watermark, it's worth spending time on creating a classy signature or logo, it should be a seal of quality rather than detracting from a picture.

Thank you both for feedback just what I was hoping for.
The signature should have removed it for here its a FB thing

First of many attempts this year for more landscape/seascape photography so feedback is most welcome
I did bracket the shots and used 2 of the exposures, found a tutorial on line for blending although it was a very basic one not involving luminosity masking for example thought I would give it go, so one for the sky one for the foreground, kept looking at it and sort of got lost as to was it ok or not, so on here it appears where I know an honest opinion will be given
Did not think about the HDR merge in Lightroom

This was done same time as I processed the other one, is this one any better?

IMG_2102-Edit.jpg

Hi , Yes I would say it is better , You have much better foreground interest , with the low light angle leaving shadows in the sand adding to the texture / feel of the photo , Also the boom on the yacht is now visable ( lost in the first image ) Less cluttered shy and more golden glow across the photo . I like this one ( Glad you removed the signature its no longer distracting my eye ) :cool:

A lot better than the first one with the exception of the rock (?) far right of the image. It keeps drawing the (my) eye.

Yes the second one is much better. I can see Peter's pint about the rock but cropping it out would spoil the balance, cloning is an option but that depends whether you agree with it...

The main problem with 1 is its far too dark. Particularly the bit near the sun. After recovery you just might need to add brightness back with relation to the physics laws, and overall you need to watch the overall histogram, and maybe pay far less attention to not blowing out the core of the sun. I am more distracted by black but paper thin clouds there. That's why the signature is by far the brightest part and that is why everyone is looking at that to begin with.
It wouldn't be a bad image is exposed correctly, but wouldn't win you any awards either. It's OK as a lifestyle, for a client, etc.

Hi , Yes I would say it is better , You have much better foreground interest , with the low light angle leaving shadows in the sand adding to the texture / feel of the photo , Also the boom on the yacht is now visable ( lost in the first image ) Less cluttered shy and more golden glow across the photo . I like this one ( Glad you removed the signature its no longer distracting my eye ) :cool:

A lot better than the first one with the exception of the rock (?) far right of the image. It keeps drawing the (my) eye.

Yes the second one is much better. I can see Peter's pint about the rock but cropping it out would spoil the balance, cloning is an option but that depends whether you agree with it...

Thank you very much it is very much appreciated,
the lump bottom right was a bit of driftwood which will hold my hands up and did not notice but now mentioned can see it all the time

The main problem with 1 is its far too dark. Particularly the bit near the sun. After recovery you just might need to add brightness back with relation to the physics laws, and overall you need to watch the overall histogram, and maybe pay far less attention to not blowing out the core of the sun. I am more distracted by black but paper thin clouds there. That's why the signature is by far the brightest part and that is why everyone is looking at that to begin with.
It wouldn't be a bad image is exposed correctly, but wouldn't win you any awards either. It's OK as a lifestyle, for a client, etc.

Thank you Nightmare, you are right I was completely engrossed in the sun and highlights

Think I will go back and have another following everyones comments

Back