Critique Yachts on the Crouch

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
A few from yesterday's sunrise, taken from South Fambridge looking over the river towards North Fambridge.

Most of these are HDR's comprised of three shots with a 1 stop difference in exposure between them. I hadn't gone out intending to do this, but took bracketed shots just so that I had the option. As it turned out I found I could get a more appealing final image from the merged image.
I welcome any suggestion of what may be done to improve for next time, while I can't put my finger on it, something about them just leaves me feeling a bit meh. :thinking:

Image-001 by David Walker, on Flickr

Image-002 by David Walker, on Flickr

Image-005 by David Walker, on Flickr

5 portrait images used to make a panorama.
Image-003 by David Walker, on Flickr

one with a 10 stop filter, just because...
Image-006 by David Walker, on Flickr

And a grab shot with a telephoto while walking back, probably my favourite of the lot. :LOL:
Image-008 by David Walker, on Flickr

I think the last one "works" best because it has a specific subject.
With the others, my eye just wanders around looking for a place to settle.
I also think you could lose quite a bit of the sky (like about 50% of the sky) in most of them.

Remember too, the guideline is that pictures with an odd number of items (three, five etc.) tend to work better than those with an even number.

The last 2 work well for me (maybe you could have been lower in the last one so that you got the hull of the boat closer to the shore line and all of the mast in in the reflection?), for the others I just think there';s too much sky, and no specific subject. Nice colours though ;)

Beautiful colours. Really peaceful images and image-006 is the standout shot for me.
Have to agree with the comment re cropping the mast too tight. But that's not a show stopper though.

Thank you all for the comments. I think you are right, I have fallen into the trap of expecting a nice sunrise to make the image by itself and not provided a proper subject. Maybe a walk further along the bank or a longer lens to make one of the boats more of a focal point will do the job, will try again at the next opportunity.

Back