Yet another Still Life...

TheBigYin

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
No traces of skulls or spooky props this time though...

Time Passes by The Big Yin, on Flickr

I'd actually been sitting on this one for the July round of the Staff POTY competition, but like an idiot, i'd actually sent it to my 500px account, and therefore it's not eligeable.

Because of the generally monotones in this image the thing that immediately draws the eye is the bright colours of the film boxes - is that what you intended - if not then it woud be much better in black and white (in my view:))

I like pictures like this, bring together the old and new. Although the film boxes do draw the eye there is a lot of things to look at after the initial view.

It's strange you mentioned Black and White Chris, as I originally envisioned it being a Monochrome Shot in the setup, but when I processed it up, I found that I was actually drawn to the Colour one - probably because I just didn't want to not show the colour from my final roll of Kodachrome... I'd tried to balance the Film Boxes with the colourful Memory cards at the other side of frame, and the flashes of colour from the Slides, but they didn't quite have the same impact :(

(Plus, as I said, it was shot for the Staff POTY, and every time I enter a B&W Shot into one of the "peer voted" competitions I seem to end up with "Nul Pointe", so I thought I'd try something in colour)

Still - As you mentioned it... here's a mono version...

Time Passes in Black and White
by The Big Yin, on Flickr

One of the things I really like about it is the little stack of photographs... In there, there's my Great Grandmother, both my Grandads, my Dad, and Me... and the shot of me is at least 48 years old.

Last edited:
Thanks for showing the B& W version Mark.

I missed the title when I first saw it and the bright colours distracted me so I didn't work it out for myself.

Your intent (I won't use the V word:)) is now much easier to see.

I think one of the reasons I liked the colour shot was, strangely, to do with how the black and white photo's were rendered... in that the oldest ones were real proper sepia toned, then the next most recent couple were just a little aged and yellowed from years of being in a shoebox in a house with a coal-fire and inhabited by smokers - then the final couple were pretty much "straight" proper monochromes - with the 48 year old one of the kid on Scarborough Beach making a sandcastle being in the best condition... And of course, all that is lost in the Black and White Conversion.

Hmmm ... Easy for me to say this when I'm not sure I could do it myself but .... One way round that might be to do a B&W conversion but use layers to 'paint' in the colours of the actual photographs from the original (maybe?)

hmm... selective sepia... not sure if that's a bigger/worse sin than selective colour popping or not :LOL:

A fair concern but in this case there would -for me -be a valid reason for doing it:)

Back