Yet another tragedy

Close ALL zoos , With the ease of modern travel , If you want to see wild animals go on holiday

A tragedy, so sad. But playing devils advocate because the counterpoint needs to be made, we wouldn't need zoos if humans could be trusted to look after these things in the wild. And air travel is one of the many reasons these things are all getting scarcer.
There are plenty of tragedies in the wild that don't get reported upon.

YouTube as well

Close ALL zoos , With the ease of modern travel , If you want to see wild animals go on holiday
Pretty ignorant response.
It's human behaviour that's driven the need for captive breeding programs.
Without them, many species would now be extinct.
But please, go ahead and enjoy life up there on your high horse.

Pretty ignorant response.
It's human behaviour that's driven the need for captive breeding programs.
Without them, many species would now be extinct.
But please, go ahead and enjoy life up there on your high horse.

I dont exploit horses for fun so I will address you from my podium
Are you happy with animals that originate from a hot climate being forced to live in freezing conditions and made to live in prison all their life , Or teasing a wild animal that is naturally a hunter by putting a glass screen between children and tigers , when the tiger tries to attack smahing into the glass and the humans then think its funny , I could go on and on and on , I will step down from my podium now .

Do you enjoy the Grand National ? I call it the killing fields and normally several horses die for fun :confused:

I dont exploit horses for fun so I will address you from my podium
Are you happy with animals that originate from a hot climate being forced to live in freezing conditions and made to live in prison all their life , Or teasing a wild animal that is naturally a hunter by putting a glass screen between children and tigers , when the tiger tries to attack smahing into the glass and the humans then think its funny , I could go on and on and on , I will step down from my podium now .

Do you enjoy the Grand National ? I call it the killing fields and normally several horses die for fun :confused:

Regarding zoos, seeing as you're addressing tigers, and the tiger in question here was an Amur tiger...formerly known as a Siberian tiger; you are aware that their natural environment in the wild is primarily chilly to the type of freezing cold we never experience, yes? Oh wait...clearly not.

As for them attacking glass viewing windows, I've visited quite a few zoos, as recently as two weeks ago...(primarily to revisit tiger cubs), and have never seen such an attack. Curiousity, yes, pawing the glass, sure, but never once an attack as you so dramatically call it, not with any big cat.

You act as if these animals are snatched from the wild and placed in zoos. Those days are long gone. These animals have been bred in captivity as we're their parents, and for many generations prior.

Would you rather see these species disappear altogether simply because we as humans have caused it?

Horse racing....Well Grand National aside for a moment, deaths are few. On average one horse for every 250 races.

Yes, the Grand National was a pretty brutal race, and the racing fraternity continue to try to address that. Call it whatever makes you feel righteous, but there hasn't been a Grand National runner death since 2012.

I suppose you're anti pets too...and vegan *shudder*.

Guys chill a bit:) it is animals folks ( WE) are passionate. We don't have to fight just be different being passionate is a good start you both share a love of nature!!

Zoos can be good and bad in the same breath ........... personally brought to tears by zoos and emense joy, experienced ,I'll never be able to articulate

The CB side is saving species we can't deny this............... Keepers have to make choices and on another thread right here is that result, of the loss of another female tiger. I don't believe that they were wrong to try. The only way tigers can survive is for us to stop breeding that is not happening .OK tis slowly we are breeding into a corner, nature will eventually put it right....but at what cost to all else who knows

Both of what you say is true,but the fact this is running faster than I can feebley type adds more sadness to one of the rarest of female tigers being lost.

Viv, Allen and me ,we are the blame,we are breeding out of control and consuming everything us the human race, Your views are only slightly different to each other... me I guess i'm right there smack in the midst.

I don't honestly think I'll ever see a wild tiger,mind most here will never see what is here right under their noses. even if it lives under their nose so maybe that's worth some exploration. As a guy that try's to make a pic of nature I have this gut feeling a holiday to see a tiger might result in some form of drive by senario with folks in other drive by' s in jeeps with cameras and smoky gear Me a wanna I'd have some of that, god I'd love to see a wild tiger. But I have an unease..............

Allen i've known of this magical place called Ranthambore since I was around 10 years old,but has that not now just become a zoo:(, maybe there aren't fences in the conventional sense but the boundaries are there all the same........................... would going on holiday to see that mythical place to see tiggers,( ya know proper wild one's) be any different from driving around a safari park??

Viv's right amur that's kamchatka bloody cold.......big spotty cats there too:cool: very very rare as well. unbelievably beautiful

We don't need to fight guys,we need to focus on more important stuff we are all at fault:( There is not time for those that care deeply about wildlife to do other than make the most of what he have left and try to inspire another with how much you BOTH care

No one wins here:( Sorry I'm not being a mod it just saddens me, tis all...................

not as much as loosing a potential breeding female Amur it must be said that is a huge devastiing loss

take care both

stu

I won't suppose to tell you anything, since your intelligence will deny you.

I will give you some credit you are good at insults and being rude , Well done , Hope you enjoy the Zoo's :), I am moving on now

I will give you some credit you are good at insults and being rude , Well done , Hope you enjoy the Zoo's :), I am moving on now
So you can't address the issues then?
That's ok; I expected nothing less.

Zoos are (now) a sideshow papering over the cracks caused by human activity. We can feel good about saving a species in a zoo, whilst outside of them thousands of species are disappearing. It is very sad.

Zoos are (now) a sideshow papering over the cracks caused by human activity. We can feel good about saving a species in a zoo, whilst outside of them thousands of species are disappearing. It is very sad.

I think zoo's are essential. They are key in teaching the younger generations about habitat loss and the need for conservation. Seeing the animals helps the embed the fact that soon, there may be none in the wild.

I love wildlife, I love seeing it in its natural environment, but would I still have that passion if I had never seen a captive animal? I doubt it.

I have been following a Facebook thread between some locals to the park and a couple of the keepers. It's devastated the staff, it seems that they had done everything they were supposed to before they let both into the same enclosure.

It is sad, but we as a nation cannot change things that happen outside our control, Uk is working towards banning
sales of all ivory and there have been similar bans in other countries, but still elephants are killed by poachers in
their homelands for the illegal trade, it's a lucrative market :(
Many other species poached for body parts illegally, as long as there is money to be had, greedy people don't care

The last Male Northern White Rhino died on a reserve in Kenya last year, 2 females survived him, both related
the extinction is again due to poaching, but new technology means he could possibly sire a captive offspring
is it wrong to try and saye a species that was hunted to exctinction, even in captivity ?

Some of the breeding done in zooes is in the hope that at some time in the future their offspring can be released
back into the wild, once it is safe for them.

We have had a few success stories in the uk with our native species, so we can live in hope for the future

Yes this is very sad to hear, but imo now it would be stupid to close all zoo`s. These beautiful animals are being hunted to death and with having the zoo doing the breading is a great thing, and hope one day tigers will be safe to release back in to the wild once they do away with the cold blooded evil poachers.

It is sad, but we as a nation cannot change things that happen outside our control, Uk is working towards banning
sales of all ivory and there have been similar bans in other countries, but still elephants are killed by poachers in
Many other species poached for body parts illegally, as long as there is money to be had, greedy people don't care

The last Male Northern White Rhino died on a reserve in Kenya last year, 2 females survived him, both related
the extinction is again due to poaching, but new technology means he could possibly sire a captive offspring
is it wrong to try and saye a species that was hunted to exctinction, even in captivity ?

Some of the breeding done in zooes is in the hope that at some time in the future their offspring can be released

We have had a few success stories in the uk with our native species, so we can live in hope for the future
I agree on the poaching, but I was referring to a much wider problem, which is man-made climate change, also man-made plastic and the effects that pesticides appear to be having. We headline elephants and rhinos, but the sub text is all about massive loss in the biosphere.

All that's needed for a recovery is the extinction of a single species.

I agree on the poaching, but I was referring to a much wider problem, which is man-made climate change, also man-made plastic and the effects that pesticides appear to be having. We headline elephants and rhinos, but the sub text is all about massive loss in the biosphere.

Species were hunted to exctinction long before climate change was blamed, think the Dodo on Mauritius
and closer to home wolves, bears and lynx in the UK even the fox went extinct once but was introduced

It will take a while but it seem things are being done, but remember we are but a small island and the world in general needs to take steps to help recovery in the mean time, zoos are doing what they can to make sure some of the animals will be there when the time is right

It's not hunting though, it is loss of habitat, and changes that disrupt the food chain.

It's not hunting though, it is loss of habitat, and changes that disrupt the food chain.

Just pointing out that species were going extinct long before all this climate change talk and zoos are doing their best to rectify some of it

It will take a lot more then closure of zoos to stop climate change, hopefully steps will be taken world wide on that subject

Just pointing out that species were going extinct long before all this climate change talk and zoos are doing their best to rectify some of it

It will take a lot more then closure of zoos to stop climate change, hopefully steps will be taken world wide on that subject

In what numbers and over what timescale.?

You gave a couple of answers from the last couple of hundred years. Right now extinction is going on in an industrial scale. It just isn't things that we see regularly, nor fluffy or photogenic things. I think I'm right in saying that the last time there were so many species wiped out in such a short time was after a meteor strike.

Currently what we will end up with is a few tigers in a zoo surrounded by wild animal and plant deaths. Oh, and the rich people surviving a few more months, compared with the poor. The super rich, some more months.

We, here in the UK, are rich...

Last edited:
We, here in the UK, are rich...

and what has that to do with anything, it's takes a global effort to change things, not just one small nation

It means that we will last slightly longer than many in other parts of the world.

Exactly what I believe and you have worded it better than I could
My local zoo is Chester which does a lot of conservation work worldwide and in the uk as well as the captive breeding program and I’m sure that other zoos in the uk are the same

Back