Yet more bikes from my local.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I hadn't been to a BSB day for sometime, so decided to go on Friday just a few hours after finishing my nightshift earlier that morning. I knew that I would forget something due to sleep deprivation, but made it home from a successful day before realising that I had shot the whole day in JPEG format ! Still it made for an easier processing session on the laptop. It was good to meet up with fellow TP'ers Gary, Neil and Dave during the day, chasing the sun around the GP loop.

Here are some of my JPEGs.

1, Retro Yam looking mint.

Shaun Winfield - Anvil Tag Hire Yamaha. by Paul Babington, on Flickr

2, I have always rated Keith Farmer, so was pleased to capture this at Hawthorns.

Keith Farmer - Quay Garage Racing Honda Fireblade. by Paul Babington, on Flickr

3, Wide Clearways shot just before my lens hood rolled down the grass bank the wrong side of the fence .

Brands BSB Friday practice. by Paul Babington, on Flickr

4, I had a few attempts at a 300mm pan from Surtees, didn't quite nail it this time.

Brands BSB Friday practice. by Paul Babington, on Flickr

5, James Rispoli checking out the freshly painted Surtees kerbs.

Brands Hatch BSB Friday. by Paul Babington, on Flickr

6, Sunny Druids DOF shot.

Brands Hatch BSB Friday Practice, by Paul Babington, on Flickr

7, The last bike round at the end of FP1 and just as everyone had climbed back over the low fence, Shakey does this !

Shane Byrne - Be WIser Ducati. by Paul Babington, on Flickr

All excellent. Number 3 stands out for me from an excellent set. Well done.

Nowt wrong with shooting JPEGs! Get it right in camera and you don't usually need the rescuing that raw files allow. And you got it right (apart from some rather nasty sharpening [?] halos which have been emphasized by Flickr.)

Nowt wrong with shooting JPEGs! Get it right in camera and you don't usually need the rescuing that raw files allow. And you got it right (apart from some rather nasty sharpening [?] halos which have been emphasized by Flickr.)

Thanks Nod, I'll definitely use this option again for all day shoots , to ease PP time .
The over sharpening is probably down to me , a bad habit .

Excellent set (y)

Sharpening halos?
I'm not seeing anything...

#1, all the dark areas of the underside of the bike against the track.
#2, around the rider's right thigh and under the fairing and tyre against the track surface.
#5, the dark areas against the track.
#7, most of the way around the rider.

Possibly not sharpening haloes, hence the [?] but they look like haloes to me.

#2, around the rider's right thigh and under the fairing and tyre against the track surface.

Ha! Much more critical viewing than I did...
I would suspect a LR clarity setting as it otherwise doesn't look over sharpened to me (clarity is much more prone to halos).

If sharpening is done in PS with USM, there is a good trick for dealing with halos...
Duplicate the layer and apply USM, change mode to "darker color."
Duplicate sharpened layer, change mode to "lighter color."
Now the bright halos are on the top layer and can be adjusted w/ opacity/masking.
The lower sharpened layer has your dark halos... which are usually beneficial.

Pretty sure we've all been guilty of over sharpening images at some point!!! I know I have been, although these days I do as little PP as possible and then sharpen as much as necessary as the last step, with the preview box checked so I can make sure there aren't any haloes. I hope!

Anyway, as I said, other than this, I like the set!

I hadn't noticed this during pp, my camera is set +1 on clarity and +6 on sharpening so it could have had an affect with the heat shimmer on the day ? I sometimes add +1-5 on clarity in LR and use the masking tool when sharpening, however that is usually on images shot in RAW, maybe the JPEGs need to be treated differently. It is something that I will look out for in the future Nod.

Nice set Paul really liking 2+5 good to catch up mate (y)

Cheers Gaz, yes it was, we will have to have a pint up there next time.

Ha! Much more critical viewing than I did...
I would suspect a LR clarity setting as it otherwise doesn't look over sharpened to me (clarity is much more prone to halos).

If sharpening is done in PS with USM, there is a good trick for dealing with halos...
Duplicate the layer and apply USM, change mode to "darker color."
Duplicate sharpened layer, change mode to "lighter color."
Now the bright halos are on the top layer and can be adjusted w/ opacity/masking.
The lower sharpened layer has your dark halos... which are usually beneficial.

Thank you for the tip Steven, I haven't yet used PS for processing but may do in the near future.

I hadn't noticed this during pp, my camera is set +1 on clarity and +6 on sharpening so it could have had an affect with the heat shimmer on the day ? I sometimes add +1-5 on clarity in LR and use the masking tool when sharpening, however that is usually on images shot in RAW, maybe the JPEGs need to be treated differently.
I've never seen any actual reference/comparison/numbers for the settings.
But it seems to me that each "1" relates to around "10" in LR. I.e. a sharpening of 6 in-camera is about equivalent to about 60% in LR. And if you add 5 clarity in LR, you're not at "6"... it's more like "15."

I've never seen any actual reference/comparison/numbers for the settings.
But it seems to me that each "1" relates to around "10" in LR. I.e. a sharpening of 6 in-camera is about equivalent to about 60% in LR. And if you add 5 clarity in LR, you're not at "6"... it's more like "15."

I concur Steven, it is something that I will pay a little more attention to in PP since Nod's helpful pointers. I really don't think my settings are too far out from where I want them to be, which has suited my customer base so far .

You have a much keener eye than me. I can see them now you've pointed them out, but I wouldn't have noticed otherwise ;) I often find I get halos like this if I've changed the contrast and or exposure quite a bit between the background and the subject, or in the case of landscapes at the horizon if I decrease the highlights and/or exposure of the sky relative to the ground.

Anyway, great set. The lens has some really nice pop to it and isolated the subject well. Would you mind sharing which lens these were shot with please?

You have a much keener eye than me. I can see them now you've pointed them out, but I wouldn't have noticed otherwise ;) I often find I get halos like this if I've changed the contrast and or exposure quite a bit between the background and the subject, or in the case of landscapes at the horizon if I decrease the highlights and/or exposure of the sky relative to the ground.

Anyway, great set. The lens has some really nice pop to it and isolated the subject well. Would you mind sharing which lens these were shot with please?

Yes of course it's a 300 f2.8 VR .

Nice work Paul, sleep deprivation doesn't seem to have hampered you at all. I keep getting drawn back to #3, really like that. Nice to meet & say hello.

Great set :clap:

Thank you Barney.

Nice work Paul, sleep deprivation doesn't seem to have hampered you at all. I keep getting drawn back to #3, really like that. Nice to meet & say hello.

Hi Neil, yes it was good to meet you and the guys too, I wish I could have ventured back over the rest of the weekend. I was carrying the wide angle lens around with me all day, so I made myself pull it out of my bag, that was when the lens hood rolled down the bank ! It took a few goes to manage a clean focus on a bike before I got it right.

Last one the best for me although 5 runs it close.

Really good set, nowt wrong with those jpegs ... only halo that flagged up for me was in the last, which of itself is a great shot :)

Really good set, nowt wrong with those jpegs ... only halo that flagged up for me was in the last, which of itself is a great shot :)

Thanks Gramps,

I know the reasons for the haloing, I have a pre-set for my racing stuff which includes added clarity and sharpness, this was added on import. I've backed both off for a few more that I added to the album, there are a couple here.

Dan Linfoot - Honda racing. by Paul Babington, on Flickr

Vittorio Iannuzzo - Gearlink Kawasaki. by Paul Babington, on Flickr

Back