Yet more dragonflies (sorry) + Id help needed

Messiah Khan

Santa is your dad
Name
Alasdair Fowler
Edit My Images
Yes
More Dragonflies.. I know, im sorry. They'll dissapear eventually. Anyway, can anyone help me with the id of number 3 and 4(both the same creature) please.

In_perfect_balance_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

Perfectly_balanced_optics_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

An_unfamiliar_friend_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

Walk_the_Plank_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

:)

MK, dont think any of us could get fed-up with seeing your dragonfly pics,
personally Im truly amazed by every one!

Fab set as usual with #2 being my fave.
I find myself keep coming back for another look at it, such an amazing portrait of such a funky little face, awesome capture! (y)

Nice shots MK. The last one is the best I think :)

As always with your Dragonfly pics, these are great and don't disappoint.

It could be a Common Darter as the Vagrant darter is quite a rare beasty over this way - It would be great if it is a Vagrant though :)

Was out the other day Dragonfly hunting, spent ages trying to get a photo of the Southern Hawker that was constantly teasing me and just wouldn't stay still - got a couple of shots, but nothing anywere near this good - i'll be back :)

Gary

Can you stop time ?, what lens is that the definition is amazing. Stunning shots, keep em coming

Dave

Splendidly beautiful creatures AND shot's chap.

Nice quality to the light in the first two.

Were they shot at different times of day? (species)

I still refuse to believe you don't use superglue. First two especially are stunning.

Hehe, I can guarantee that no glue, solvents or other trickery has been used on any of my shots. These are fully real and healty creatures. (y)

I think it is a female Vagrant Darter.

Very nice again MK.

Cheers.

MK, dont think any of us could get fed-up with seeing your dragonfly pics,
personally Im truly amazed by every one!

Fab set as usual with #2 being my fave.
I find myself keep coming back for another look at it, such an amazing portrait of such a funky little face, awesome capture! (y)

Thank you.:) I think im getting a little bored of dragonflies now. Although I have yet to reach perfection in an insect shot yet, I have learnt so much over the last few months that I think I could do with a change of subject to let my insect macro skills settle in a bit.

Nice shots MK. The last one is the best I think :)

Cheers :)

As always with your Dragonfly pics, these are great and don't disappoint.

Thank you :)

It could be a Common Darter as the Vagrant darter is quite a rare beasty over this way - It would be great if it is a Vagrant though :)

Was out the other day Dragonfly hunting, spent ages trying to get a photo of the Southern Hawker that was constantly teasing me and just wouldn't stay still - got a couple of shots, but nothing anywere near this good - i'll be back :)

Gary

Thank you. Do you know of any decent sites for the identification? I have a pretty decent british insect book, but it doesn't go into any sort of detail with regards to wing patterns etc.

As you might have seen in one of my other threads, I was fortunate enough to have a Southern Hawker come and lay its eggs in my garden. It has come same time every year for 3 years now. What I would really love to find though are banded demoiselles. I think I saw one very briefly in one of the nature reserves I go to, but it shot over my head far too fast to properly identify.

Can you stop time ?, what lens is that the definition is amazing. Stunning shots, keep em coming
Dave

I can't quite stop time yet, but im working on it.(y) For my macro shot I use the Sigma 150mm. Its a lens I can't praise enough. The only downside is that on the Nikon fit, it doesn't have a MF/AF switch, but other than that.. its a stunning lens.

Splendidly beautiful creatures AND shot's chap.

Nice quality to the light in the first two.

Were they shot at different times of day? (species)

Thank you. The two species were shot at what couldn't have been more than 1 hour apart. I suspect its probably more the direction of the light making the difference.

I have based my id on the red line down its body.
The female common darter doesn't have this line,
so I'm more inclined to think it is a vagrant darter. ;)

I have based my id on the red line down its body.
The female common darter doesn't have this line,
so I'm more inclined to think it is a vagrant darter. ;)

If you are correct, then isn't this a very long way north for it to wander? (Low Barns nature reserve, county Durham)

Well with global warming you never know, plus your on the east coast close to the rest of Europe, so anything is possible.

Well with global warming you never know, plus your on the east coast close to the rest of Europe, so anything is possible.

Very true, but she's a right little flyer to get all this way. I keep seeing insects that shouldn't really be finding their way this far north, which I suppose is as you say a sign of global warming. Now I just hope some of mantids find their way across. (y)

I know how he gets these shots.. THEY ARE DEAD!!! .. you can tell by the way they are not moving.... :bonk::bonk:

Lovely shots!! i love em... (y)(y):clap::clap:

We're all just supremely jealous of your DF shots. You should show them to the people who inhabit the forum for Racing Frogs (www.racingfrogs.org) they're always looking for dragonflies to feed to their little proteges.

I've done a bit of research on these little dragons, and apparently yours is a Male Common Darter, or a Vagrant Darter.
The only way to tell the difference is to watch their behaviour.

I've done a bit of research on these little dragons, and apparently yours is a Male Common Darter, or a Vagrant Darter.

Are these anyway related to the Doug?:D

Thanks for that Matt. Is there no way to tell by the Venation(sp)? There were quite a few Male Common Darters about in this location, but this one look distinctly different(much more blue). I suppose it could just be a variation is colour, but this one really made me go "Ooo, what are you then!". :)

Are these anyway related to the Doug?:D

The lesser spotted Doug Darter is much rarer. Infact I believe only one specimen has ever been sighted:LOL:

Back