Ynys Lochtyn Sunrise

I like that, nice PP and comp, lovely scene.

Was there a shot further round to the right putting the end of the cliffs more on the left third showing more of the curve of the bay? Reason I ask is that with images like this sometimes just out of shot is a cliff edge not making it possible!

I like that, nice PP and comp, lovely scene.

Was there a shot further round to the right putting the end of the cliffs more on the left third showing more of the curve of the bay? Reason I ask is that with images like this sometimes just out of shot is a cliff edge not making it possible!

Thank you.

Yes, I could have moved further right and I did take a wander that way whilst waiting for the sun, the problem was that the clouds where thinning pretty quickly and I would have lost all interest in the sky. Luckily this place is only 20 drive from home so plenty of other opportunities.

Thanks for the pleasure Elliott! (y)

Last edited:
I would just level the horizon line though
The horizon is level though.

Yes, it is… the eye maybe fooled to believe it may
not be by the strong difference in the luminosity

gradient between the left and the right of the sky.

Furthermore, the composition is making it uneasily
difficult with the long "finger" stretching out deep in
the picture.

Last edited:
Really Lovely, this is a cracker Elliott! The tones an subtle colours are beautiful, which is why you dragged yourself up at silly o'clock.
I would say it was well worth the effort, excellent work and the PP is really nice to!
Must be great to have such a location so close to home.

I like this a lot Elliot, a smart vibrant image. I agree with Stuart regarding perhaps a little more room on the right.

Really Lovely, this is a cracker Elliott! The tones an subtle colours are beautiful, which is why you dragged yourself up at silly o'clock.
I would say it was well worth the effort, excellent work and the PP is really nice to!
Must be great to have such a location so close to home.

I like this a lot Elliot, a smart vibrant image. I agree with Stuart regarding perhaps a little more room on the right.

Thank you. I'll definitely be going back to try some different compositions. I just have to convince myself to get out of bed early enough.

So, I was up early again this morning and paid another visit to this Ynys Lochtyn.

Shot from a bit further around and there was a little more interest in the sky but unfortunately the sun was really struggling to break through the bank of clouds on the horizon. I had a brief break through a small hole but it was short lived. I'm still relatively happy with the result though.

Another Ynys Lochtyn
by Elliott Coleman, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like this and its all the better for not having the sun in the frame. Lovely summer colours too.

However the 1st shot has the better composition with some dead space on the left, in this one the land is cut off that jarrs a little.

That second shot is lovely! More interesting composition, and more contrast between sea and sky. Stunning.

They are both great for me. Really nice images, well done on making the effort - that is what landscape is all about. Only critique, and sometimes as a natural point of contrast and with mist above the water it is hard to avoid but there is a bit of a halo along the horizon dark/light where the sea meets the sky in the second. I am happy to explain how to fix it if it is of concern to you.

They are both great for me. Really nice images, well done on making the effort - that is what landscape is all about. Only critique, and sometimes as a natural point of contrast and with mist above the water it is hard to avoid but there is a bit of a halo along the horizon dark/light where the sea meets the sky in the second. I am happy to explain how to fix it if it is of concern to you.

Always happy to learn something new.

Both are fab but I prefer the first as it has a more unconventional composition and I like the way it points off towards the sun without it being there, it adds a bit of tension to the image which is often not seen in landscapes (and obviously not always necessary).

Always happy to learn something new.

I am only looking at the second shot when I say this, the first is spot on regarding the blend. You obviously know what you are doing and there is no guarantee I'd do a better job so don't take this the wrong way, just a case of having learnt the hard way how to try and make blends look seamless.

I'm assuming you shot bracketed exposures and blended them afterwards and this is not a physical grad line? If it is a physical grad line then always position it just below the horizon rather than above it or even 50/50 over it, the darkening of the sea with a hard grad line is less apparent than the lightening of the sky.

The way I would do it is as a combination of methods, probably using 3 exposures, but assuming only 2 try this.

First of all darkest one on top of brightest one, channel selection of brightest (blown) highlights from bright one, apply selection to a folder, put the darker exposure in the folder above the brightest exposure not in it. Add a black mask to the dark exposure now in folder and with a soft, reduced opacity brush literally paint through white where you want to recover the highlights in the sky. That will give you a recovered file, that may be still too bright in the whole sky area.

Then I'd flatten this down. I'd then create a selection of just the land, either using magic wand etc or colour channels. with the sea and sky being white but the land being black I'd then load another folder in the layers palette and apply this selection to it as a mask. Then within that folder I'd create levels adjustment mask and move mid point darker, (or a duplicate of your darker exposure if you prefer and change opacity of it). The real beauty of this technique is the fact that the land is protected with the mask on the folder, but the levels adjustment layer, or darker exposure within it, can have it's own mask so you can paint through or soft gradient the darker tones into the top of the image. I'd just paint a soft edged brush around the sea near the land knowing I didn't have to be accurate because the land won't be touched because of the folder mask. You can also feather either/both of the masks and tweak the opacity of the masks.

Also, you can create any other adjustment layer on the base layer (land) and locally edit that all at once i.e. sharpen just land but noise reduce sea/sky along with colour corrections.

If my typing rambling makes no sense and you are interested I can screen grab some examples of how this workflow appears if you wish.

I am only looking at the second shot when I say this, the first is spot on regarding the blend. You obviously know what you are doing and there is no guarantee I'd do a better job so don't take this the wrong way, just a case of having learnt the hard way how to try and make blends look seamless.

I'm assuming you shot bracketed exposures and blended them afterwards and this is not a physical grad line? If it is a physical grad line then always position it just below the horizon rather than above it or even 50/50 over it, the darkening of the sea with a hard grad line is less apparent than the lightening of the sky.

The way I would do it is as a combination of methods, probably using 3 exposures, but assuming only 2 try this.

First of all darkest one on top of brightest one, channel selection of brightest (blown) highlights from bright one, apply selection to a folder, put the darker exposure in the folder above the brightest exposure not in it. Add a black mask to the dark exposure now in folder and with a soft, reduced opacity brush literally paint through white where you want to recover the highlights in the sky. That will give you a recovered file, that may be still too bright in the whole sky area.

Then I'd flatten this down. I'd then create a selection of just the land, either using magic wand etc or colour channels. with the sea and sky being white but the land being black I'd then load another folder in the layers palette and apply this selection to it as a mask. Then within that folder I'd create levels adjustment mask and move mid point darker, (or a duplicate of your darker exposure if you prefer and change opacity of it). The real beauty of this technique is the fact that the land is protected with the mask on the folder, but the levels adjustment layer, or darker exposure within it, can have it's own mask so you can paint through or soft gradient the darker tones into the top of the image. I'd just paint a soft edged brush around the sea near the land knowing I didn't have to be accurate because the land won't be touched because of the folder mask. You can also feather either/both of the masks and tweak the opacity of the masks.

Also, you can create any other adjustment layer on the base layer (land) and locally edit that all at once i.e. sharpen just land but noise reduce sea/sky along with colour corrections.

If my typing rambling makes no sense and you are interested I can screen grab some examples of how this workflow appears if you wish.

This is interesting to me Craig, and some screengrabs would be appreciated. Do you know if there any youtube tutorials on similar technique, which I could use and then refer back to your post here for the full procedure. Maybe I'm lazy, but I find videos so much easier to follow. :)

Back