York Hall charity boxing event

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
All new for me - indoors / dark / people . . . . what could possibly go wrong lol.

My wife Cory was asked to shoot a charity 'white collar' boxing event by her boxfit studio and she asked if I would help out as second shooter.

1DX, 70-200 2.8 mkII handheld and no flash permitted.

YH%20Boxing%2027-11-15%20096-XL.jpg

YH%20Boxing%2027-11-15%20112-XL.jpg

YH%20Boxing%2027-11-15%20210-XL.jpg

#4 Roz and Tanya were awesome, especially when you consider Roz only started 4 months ago (red top) very impressed
Ripped%20Gym%20Fighters%2027-11-15%200315-XL.jpg

Not sure what I think of my efforts on the whole - if anyone would care to take a look through the gallery and are able to offer any helpful critique's I would be most grateful

Gallery HERE

.DAVID.

I would just like to say that I think you've done a grand job.
I would just like to see a couple of full length shots.

In #3, some lights just went out!
Cool renditions!

I would just like to say that I think you've done a grand job.
I would just like to see a couple of full length shots.

Why? Legs aren't of any interest in boxing, it's all about upper body. No need to see full length unless you're going for a wide GV

Not a fan of these.. too lob sided and never seen boxing photos done over the ring before.. looks odd ... should be straight and done from lower down.. and yes you need some full length in with the close ups.. bit of each :)

Why do you need to see the boxers' legs? Is that where the action is happening?

To me the bottom half of the body will help to show movement. Is he on the front foot advancing, on the back foot retreating. The position of the feet show how much effort is being used to throw a punch, if their back foot is off of the floor, it generally implies a reasonable force is being applied.

boxing isnt all about punching someone in the head.. stance. footwork blah blah... nobody is suggesting every boxing shot has to ahve feet in.. most of mine are top half.. but you also have full length as well..

football is mostly played with there feet.. we still show there heads :)

Not a fan of these.. too lob sided and never seen boxing photos done over the ring before.. looks odd ... should be straight and done from lower down.. and yes you need some full length in with the close ups.. bit of each :)

Jees - tough crowd! as I said, "All new for me - indoors / dark / people" I was quite a way back in line with the corner so to get a straight rope would have had the fighters on the kilter which would have looked even stranger. and to be honest they look rubbish
Ripped%20Gym%20Fighters%2027-11-15%200329-XL.jpg

Ringside was just - the same as everyone else - so why would we want to copy the same boring 'looking up the nose into shadow' shots?
Ripped%20Gym%20Fighters%2027-11-15%200468-XL.jpg

YH%20Boxing%2027-11-15%20310-XL.jpg

Hey it was fun to try something new and the fighters loved the different viewpoint so it's probably a good job we don't all like the same old thing ehh ;-)

.DAVID.

Jees - tough crowd! as I said, "All new for me - indoors / dark / people"

Haa right sorry.. your one of those?

There great..I love them all.. brilliant job..

That better?

Those wide shots are so great. I'm so glad the legs are in, so useful to know just how much power is being applied by looking at the legs.

Each to their own.
I did say it was a grand job and that I would like to see some full length shots.

Think you did a good job and much prefer the first four to the rest.

Haa right sorry.. your one of those?

There great..I love them all.. brilliant job..

That better?

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, if it wasn't for the fact I have read a lot of your posts and realised how childishly pedantic you can be (almost trolling) I may have got annoyed by that but instead you raised a wry smile.

As for the other comments - thanks guys, I will make a few notes to help towards the next event - oh and yes I prefer the first 4 as well :)

.DAVID.

Generally agree with KIPAX there but I do think you've got some great timing. I like the shots with the face but not sure whether you'd have such a clear shot of the faces if you'd shot through the ropes though.

Why? Legs aren't of any interest in boxing, it's all about upper body. No need to see full length unless you're going for a wide GV

Speak to any boxer and you will find that footwork is important in boxing considering that tells you their boxing style. Also mentioned that it gives a position of stance if capturing a photo of an action shot and a punch is being thrown.

So in fact, seeing photos of legs too would be good.

Speak to any boxer and you will find that footwork is important in boxing considering that tells you their boxing style. Also mentioned that it gives a position of stance if capturing a photo of an action shot and a punch is being thrown.

So in fact, seeing photos of legs too would be good.

I'm sure if you speak to most boxers they'll tell you their little toe is important, that doesn't mean capturing it would make a good boxing photo. The best, award winning, ones are all tight on the upper body, with a few ultra wide ones for celes if need be.

…and I thought charity was more like helping one an other rather
than beating up each other!

…and I thought charity was more like helping one an other rather
than beating up each other!

Your wrong.. In a forum like this you have to tell the truth..

THE WORSE THING YOU CAN DO FOR A PHOTOGRAPHER IS SAY WELL DONE GREAT PICS.. WHEN THEY ARE NOT

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, if it wasn't for the fact I have read a lot of your posts and realised how childishly pedantic you can be (almost trolling) .

Like I say.. cry baby.. dont like the feedback so attack the person giving it... no point wasting my time on people like you.

Like I say.. cry baby.. dont like the feedback so attack the person giving it... no point wasting my time on people like you.

I've been away from the forums for a couple of years, so glad you've not changed! Say it as it is, it's the only way for people to learn!

Regarding the photos, excellent timing on the shots, a few issues have been mentioned, just take them for what they are, advice on improvement, not a personal attack :)

As for h/s vs full length, a quick google shows that you get lots of both types, it just adds to the story.

Think you done really well tbh mate the angle is different to normal boxing etc but you can control that ... Good job

Back