North England York/Harrogate/Ripon area

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a short visit to the York area next week and I have a day or two available for photography.
I've done the coastal areas, Staithes, Whitby, Robin Hoods Bay etc, so I thought I'd visit Fountains Abbey.
I'm staying 1 night near Fountains Abbey and I was wondering if there were any other places within easy reach of that area that I should consider visiting, bearing in mind I will only have a limited amount of time?
One place that looked interesting was Brimham Rocks.

https://markenfieldhall.com/open-days/
Limited open days, from 5th to 19th May is one period.
For photography the exterior is good but inside is interesting though you only get to see a few rooms. Very friendly owners and guides.

Ripon is nice too and not 'done to death'

Studley Royal
Brimham Rocks is well worth a visit.
A couple of miles outside of Pateley Bridge on the B6265 is Toft Gate Lime Kiln and The Coldstones Cut (apparently Yorkshire's biggest and highest public artwork), both these are free.

You should quite easily be able to do Toft Gate Lime Kiln, The Coldstones Cut and Brimham Rocks in a day.

Thank you very much for the suggestions.
I'm not exactly certain how much time I will have, but I'll bear in mind the suggestions.
Fountains Abbey is my first choice, but I'll see what else I have time for.

Three days in Yorkshire and it only rained once - for three days!

(Well two and a half to be precise.)
I managed a morning at Fountains Abbey but in the afternoon I went to Brimham Rocks, which I thought was really impressive.
I ran out of time (and weather) but I'm sure there will be another opportunity.

it only rained once - for three days!

That sounds about right for Yorkshire.... I went to Brimham one year for the first time in mid summer and it rained within a couple of hours of arriving.

Back