Yorouichi Peisy

Neil, it could be my eyes, but is this image suffering from back focussing? I expected the eyes or eyelashes to be sharp, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Also, if the eyes were open and engaged with the camera, it would have been a great shot!

I prefer the closed eye shot. That eye make-up makes it really interesting, and initially intriguing. The lighting is a bit flat and up front IMO though. Makes it look too much like on-camera flash. Well framed though.

The background is very distracting however.. not so much the red pattern in the right, but mainly the ceiling/wall lines cutting through the headdress etc.

Were you in full control of the shot? I mean was she modelling exclusively for you, or was this some event you were audience to? If the latter, then I suppose that may not be entirely your fault, but if the former, take a good look around your viewfinder and imagine you are looking at a finished print before you press the shutter. If she's modelling for you, there's time to take a minute and examine the shot... even if you have to resort to looking at it on the screen. If it was a shot in a documentary series or an illustrative piece in an editorial I don't think anyone would mind, but as a stand alone image I'd have moved her around a bit so only the red patterned background was in frame (if possible).

Back