You are entering the American sector

We were there a couple of years ago. Can I please add the Berlin Wall as I think is relevant to your photo

pHoatAw.jpg

emQtnJA.jpg

Last edited:
That second one does no justice to what is on the display boards there. Utterly chilling. Anyone listening to Farage or Johnson just now should go read those.

As for Berlin as a city, it has been spared development and so has a feel, a heart. Until recently. I wager that if you go back in twenty years it will consist of tall glass towers. There will be a few hundred meters of where the wall was. Places like The Treehouse will have long been developed. Apart from the weird night clubs you could be anywhere...

sxF0rOe.jpg

pIp5QV3.jpg

just a couple of boards from below. It was crowded with people looking at them so only took a couple of photos and fighting time as well. It was a long coach trip from the boat, but worth it.

liuAUV3.jpg

Last edited:
@Mag1cp2x great shot. if you object to my picture in your thread, let me know and I'll link/remove as you choose.

We were there a couple of years ago. Can I please add the Berlin Wall as I think is relevant to your photo
We walked down the gallery side as a peek through the gap at the Northern end didn't look too promising, wish I'd doubled back at the bottom before we crossed...next time!

As for Berlin as a city, it has been spared development and so has a feel, a heart. Until recently. I wager that if you go back in twenty years it will consist of tall glass towers. There will be a few hundred meters of where the wall was. Places like The Treehouse will have long been developed. Apart from the weird night clubs you could be anywhere...

You can't get a shot of Checkpoint Charlie without getting either KFC or McDonalds in shot :rolleyes:.
Berlin was a construction zone everywhere you went. We were there in June and this is already well under way.

Gentrification in effect - Berlin Wall
by AMc UK, on Flickr

Rest of my stuff from there is here.
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmEzRafE

Great shots in there.

Was there this time last year. We saw so much and yet missed so much!

Pity they allowed graffiti on the wall, it takes away the seriousness and meaning of it being there

It's not really graffiti it's an art gallery
"a Denkmal, or heritage-protected landmark. According to the Künstlerinitiative East Side Gallery e.V., an association of the artists involved in the project, "The East Side Gallery is understood as a monument to the fall of the Berlin Wall and the peaceful negotiation of borders and conventions between societies and people" ' Some of the art directly references the people who lost their lives trying to escape, only the very end is badly vandalised with the usual tagging.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Side_Gallery

It was ... weird .. seeing people smiling for selfies in front of the wall. But I saw the same degree of people missing the point at the Hiroshima Peace Garden a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
...a gallery

More details here.

There is a lot of graffiti in Berlin, it has quite a social significance.

I see AMcUK has added a bit more!

Last edited:
not the same Checkpoint Charlie, as when I was there in 88/90 it looks better now

when the wall was up we all knew where we stood with russia
now there getting up to alsorts of mischief even murder in the uk
i wouldn't trust russia as far as i could spit

Here is one from when I was in Berlin last Easter, Potsdamer Platz has changed a bit from Iron Curtain times

Pots 2.jpg

Back