Young DH rider sending it large.

Great capture ... surprised to see the wooden stakes, no elfin safety?

Wooden stakes are there to support the ramps, no real chance on injury from them. It's the landing that normally hurts! For me anyway!

Great action shot, be good to see it with background highlights reduced a bit so the flying biker stands out more but I like it.
Is it someone you know, sure he'd love it

This cool take would gain in graphic power with proper
DRL setting, Dave.

Great action shot, be good to see it with background highlights reduced a bit so the flying biker stands out more but I like it.
Is it someone you know, sure he'd love it

Thanks Bruce. Yep its someone i know and its currently doing the rounds of lots of DH FB pages as i speak

Just saw a video this on Facebook! Nice composition, really shows the scale of it. Looks like the focus is a little out, might just be the noise, it's pretty dark at Rogate!

Thanks Sam, I think focus is ok its just the really bad noise. The 7d isn't very good with it and as you know Rogate is very dark at the best of times, never mind with a hailstorm heading in! About to buy a new body but can't decide between the 7dii or a 5d3. Just can't make my mind up!!

This cool take would gain in graphic power with proper
DRL setting, Dave.

With all due respect, I have no idea what you mean??

Last edited:
With all due respect, I have no idea what you mean??

I don't see, Dave, how asking a question could be disrespectful!!!

DRL = Dynamic Range Levels = black and white points setting.

There are lots of micro contrast and micro saturation recorded
information hidden in the histogram of your shot. They contain
the real graphic power of your take.

I went to an old 1D, they seem to cope really well with noise and the AF is incredible so I'd be tempted to go for a 1D3 over a 7DII if I were you. I'll be getting a 5D3 next though, absolute beast of a camera if you can afford it!

5d3 is just about affordable but then 2 of my lenses won't work.

Great capture of the moment.

You mentioned it dropping rather dark, I do wonder if by pulling up the exposure you've lost some of the depth perception that the shadows bring. It's pulled the blacks up into the greys and lost contrast as a result (I think this is what @Kodiak Qc is talking about). If you pull the bottom of the tone curve to the right a touch it may give a crisper image with a greater sense of depth/dimensionality.

Back