Young girl' portrait in the shade

Super shot as always.

Which variant is more correct:
Young girl' portrait in the shade
Young girl' portrait in the shadow

Shade would mean she is not in direct sunlight
Shadow would mean she is is in [the] darkness [of a shadow]

Portrait in shade is a better English translation in my opinion... ALthough you have brightened her skin to the point where shade and shadow would not really apply. Just my opinion though. I like the shot, no matter the title.

Last edited:

Portrait in shade is a better English translation in my opinion... ALthough you have brightened her skin to the point where shade and shadow would not really apply. Just my opinion though. I like the shot, no matter the title.
Thank you for the feedback, Harlequin565!

I would agree, both with the title 'Portrait in shade' and with the idea that your processing has removed the idea of shadow in the image.

It’s a cracker! Young ‘woman’ would be better, a young girl is typically a child in the uk.

It’s a cracker! Young ‘woman’ would be better, a young girl is typically a child in the uk.
Thanks for your comment, Brazo!

"Young woman" sounds bit rude in Russian. There are tree defifnitions:

devochka = means a girl from 0 to 16 yo
devushka = means a girl form 16 to 30 yo (or even 35 yo if she looks young).
zhenshina = means a woman from 30 till the age of "babushka" (grandmother).

So, in this case we see "devushka" (young woman about 19 yo) :)

Last edited:
“Excellent” portrait style shot, nothing more to be said.

George.

Personally I'm not keen. She knows the camera is there so it's a little posed. And I'd have like to have seen an interaction of the eyes. It just leaves it too much like it could be this or that rather than what it is.
The processing for it looks good but its just not there for me.
But that's what's great about opinions

Personally I'm not keen. She knows the camera is there so it's a little posed. And I'd have like to have seen an interaction of the eyes. It just leaves it too much like it could be this or that rather than what it is.
The processing for it looks good but its just not there for me.
But that's what's great about opinions
Hello Nuzik!

This girl was posing to camera, but this shot was "in between" two poses.

Back