Young Lady

Ah the beauty of youth, fine capture.

Looks a tad underexposed to me. Could also do with some cleaning up on the walls and hair. Has potential though.

it looks underexposed to me but as i tilt my laptop screen there is an improvement
that is arguable of course
what i would suggest is a more closer shot...this one could be cropped just below her hair
the costume for me detracts and the face for me is more important
hope that helps
cheers
geof

No argument. Something I have yet to get used to with my Sony a6000 is that images look brighter in the viewfinder than they come out when exposed. I am struggling with this as I must learn to estimate compensation.

It may not have to do with the camera but out
of the converter… you shoot RAW, right?

I was for a while but these were jpeg.

You don't say what you used to process these, but it may be a contrast/vibrance issue. Her white/silver stripey top looks OK for exposure to me, and I'm not sure it would retain much detail if you cranked the exposure up a bit. Her jeans certainly seem a bit underexposed, especially the front of them, so that needs to be revisited.

No argument. Something I have yet to get used to with my Sony a6000 is that images look brighter in the viewfinder than they come out when exposed. I am struggling with this as I must learn to estimate compensation.
Is your EVF set to a manual brightness, or to auto brightness? It's adjustable. Note too that one of the display options (I hope :) is to include an exposure histogram overlaid on the image. For quick snaps with my Sony A77 I'll use the EVF to judge exposure compensation. Mostly I don't need all the dynamic range of the almost ISOless sensor, so there's free latitude in post processing adjustment if I misjudge. But if I'm spending any time on posing and lighting I'll also be checking exposure via the histogram to be sure it's optimised.

If you're processing from RAW with that particular image I'd try processing it first it Sony's IDC, if underexposed by the histogram I'd push it up a bit, then use the manual settings of the Dynamic Range Optimisation to lift the shadows. This may be something you can do well enough in Lightroom, but I've read reviews suggesting that the DRO in Sony's IDC is unusually good when you uwant to compress a wide dynamic range into a JPEG. I often use IDC just for that really good DRO, and then use my favourite editor on the resulting JPEG.

If on the other hand you're shooting JPEG only you might like to try having auto DRO set in camera. When you're being fussier there are manual adjustments available in camera to help you get more of the full RAW dynamic range into JPEG.

Great information. Thank you. I'm going to give Sony's IDC a try.

Last edited:
Back