Critique Young wren

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
We spent an enchanting evening atop the wolds close to home with what I can only think were a young family of fledgling wren,very late to fledge at that. Honest thoughts and fun greatly appreciated. I think this is one of the nicer images I managed ,I guess some will be bothered by the elder twig,but I'm interested in any points you might have. We are blessed to have them here in the garden, I do love these little chaps, ahh, that song,sorry the pic:rolleyes:

F70F8374 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

take care

Stu

As the warm tones give a charming character to your shot, they also contribute to the
dilution of the subject in the decor. Here a suggestion to separate the birdie from the
background. Tweaks include cooler decor, texture and saturation separation of the
background, and, since the shot is a tad soft, a touch of sharpening used reluctantly
on the bird.

— Of course, you could do better with the RAW file!

wren%201.jpg

123.jpg Lovely Wren pose the little devils dont stand still long,its a shame about the background being so close to the birds colours and on my monitor it does look like the Wren lacks detail,PP could sort some of it out but i dont have the ability,
If it was mine i would remove the branch above its head and the one in front of it just to focus attention more on the bird,done a quick one to show you with slight sharpening to the Wren,ime happy to remove it if you want.

Last edited:
Daniel thanks so much for giving me your time and thoughts,they will always be appreciated. Mike the same applies and don't be daft,there is no need to remove your edit:): I'm here to learn mate,I can't yet do what either you or Daniel have done. Both of the edits provoke thought,I've ticked the yes box(to edit) because I want to be able to see your opinions not just read them. Guys I want to dijest what you have both done and have to rush off. But i'll come back asap,just wanted to pop in and say thankyou

take care both

Stu

Stu,sat here with nothing to do so had another go,bit rough and ready on the selecting the bird but i like it more than my first one,

mine 3.jpg

As the warm tones give a charming character to your shot, they also contribute to the
dilution of the subject in the decor. Here a suggestion to separate the birdie from the
background. Tweaks include cooler decor, texture and saturation separation of the
background, and, since the shot is a tad soft, a touch of sharpening used reluctantly
on the bird.

— Of course, you could do better with the RAW file!

wren%201.jpg
Hey Daniel how ya doing mate? Daniel I concur the image is slightly soft and more than likely with the RAW in your hands the wren could be sharpened better. I actually find the rendition above harsh to look at ,it appears too erm artificial and grainy,the actual bird buddy,not the background. Daniel as you know I'm learning ,so I don't fully understand all this yet,so can only give what my eyes see through the monitor I am using. I also concur about the warm tones running through out the image,it was shot in the golden hour just before the sun set,and there is no doubt that you have separated the bird from the background. But, I'm struggling with what has been lost. That warmth of the straw bales (background) and the thread of gold running throughout the image made it more harmonious to my eye. Sure the bird doesn't quite pop the same as your rendition,but I feel that maybe there might be a middle ground between our two renditions of this image.

Daniel,we have some accords here and some differences of opinion( and a goodly few places if I knew more I might have more to offer back),what is incredibly important to me in the media we are using,and maybe with a slight language barrier is that you fully understand how grateful I am that you spent time trying to help me: you made me stop and think about ideas I had not considered, made me ponder colour/tone of background and it's effect on a subject all of this I will take forward.

Many thanks

stu

…and more than likely with the RAW in your hands…

The only thing that really counts for me is that you may be aware of possible
options that may help in your final rendition.
I am, and you should be too, aware that the final word is yours as well as the
right and privilege of self arbitrary.

Stu,sat here with nothing to do so had another go,bit rough and ready on the selecting the bird but i like it more than my first one,

View attachment 48187
Mike, again proper cheers for the time ok double time;), and efforts,real kind mate. The colour and how we see it, appraise, is really interesting for me! Your last rendition is the closest on keeping some of the warmth and separating the bird just slightly,I really hadn't considered this at all,and to be frank am arguing with my self as I write,but I like that mate. We are all different you guys have made me ponder something I probably wouldn't have,it's cool.

Ha let it be know I had blinding chances on this evening at this tricky little trog and didn't measure up,this is one of few that should be many!! some of you horrible lot would have sorted this one properly..... But that's me at the moment:) Actually we prefer your first branch removal but,overall like the 2nd rendition better,I've got to lean this stamp tool's capabilities! Mike this was what I saw coming,the branch sticking out of the head and referred to in my initial post,the colour I didn't at all.

I guess this bird's habits lend it's self to being in places where colour of bird and background are at one,it is a very small brown bird whom scrubbles about making a living in the undergrowth essentially also brown(mind green browns huh!!,I think this also is making me unsure here about colour.

Mike thanks buddy,it's so cool hearing others ideas and seeing them,I think this is very good for me,my work is NOT YET done yet done inside the camera,the raw should be sharp,this is a lovely bonus though

many thasks

Stu

The only thing that really counts for me is that you may be aware of possible
options that may help in your final rendition.
I am, and you should be too, aware that the final word is yours as well as the
right and privilege of self arbitrary.
Daniel, your words are soooo well chosen.... of course,I understand:)

That's why I'm gracious,it's a kindness mate, bloody fascinating too

take care

Stu

Mike, again proper cheers for the time ok double time;), and efforts,real kind mate. The colour and how we see it, appraise, is really interesting for me! Your last rendition is the closest on keeping some of the warmth and separating the bird just slightly,I really hadn't considered this at all,and to be frank am arguing with my self as I write,but I like that mate. We are all different you guys have made me ponder something I probably wouldn't have,it's cool.

Ha let it be know I had blinding chances on this evening at this tricky little trog and didn't measure up,this is one of few that should be many!! some of you horrible lot would have sorted this one properly..... But that's me at the moment:) Actually we prefer your first branch removal but,overall like the 2nd rendition better,I've got to lean this stamp tool's capabilities! Mike this was what I saw coming,the branch sticking out of the head and referred to in my initial post,the colour I didn't at all.

I guess this bird's habits lend it's self to being in places where colour of bird and background are at one,it is a very small brown bird whom scrubbles about making a living in the undergrowth essentially also brown(mind green browns huh!!,I think this also is making me unsure here about colour.

Mike thanks buddy,it's so cool hearing others ideas and seeing them,I think this is very good for me,my work is NOT YET done yet done inside the camera,the raw should be sharp,this is a lovely bonus though

many thasks

Stu

Stu,Daniel i know from another forum and he has an understanding of PP i will never have,the beauty of an image like the wren is you can play over and over again learning new things,i mostly use content aware for things like branch removal and clone stamp when ime working close to or touching the main subject.

Back