Your Best Shot 2017

Name
Garry
Edit My Images
No
Anyone want to play?

Flickr has a new group every year for sharing your best photo of that year. This year's one is here. But I know that many of us aren't Flickr members, so I thought it might be fun to share the photo that you think is your best shot of the year right here on TP. Of course, December isn't over yet, and you might get that killer shot before the year's out, and you might want to wait until the new year before sharing.

If you do want to share, it's up to you to decide however you want what is your best shot. It could be the one that was perfect in-camera. Or the one you processed just right, or the subject that's your absolute favourite, or... whatever you like. But let's keep it manageable with one more simple rule: one shot only, please. If you subsequently take a better shot, by all means post it, but take the time to delete the previous post. Thanks.

After looking through my collection, I chose this one: a simple shot of a woman outside the London Fashion Week event. The reason I like it is that it's almost a two-tone (if you squint) and it breaks several of the composition "rules". It was taken handheld with my Sony HX60V compact - my "street" camera. Exposure details are below the photo.

Looking through all of my Flickr photos this year made me want to up my game next year. And have even more fun doing so. I very much look forward to seeing your contributions.

Outside LFW Feb 2017 - 04
by Garry Knight, on Flickr
1/60 sec @ f/6.3 ISO 400

Had some fun this year watching and photographing Common Snipe at my local WWT reserve.
They are fascinating little birds to watch and when 'surprised' by noise or the sudden presence of another bird they will briefly stoop forward with their head and fan out their tail feathers often before rushing off to hide. I caught this one just by chance as he was disturbed by a little Wagtail that landed in front of him.

*Update 7/1/2018 ... took 3rd place in WWT 'Waterlife' competition. :)

Snipe Alert!
by Roger, on Flickr

Last edited:
This is my favourite, there would be others contending for best by a long shot. However, I am happy with this.
Note my reflection on the right taking the photo as I walk past.

011217olderretouch30 by slyelessar, on Flickr

Last edited:
This is my favourite taken in April, there's a large deer population on the country park nearby which is also very popular with walkers, runners, dog walkers etc so they are very used to people and it's easy to get fairly close.
The only problem is they regularly venture across the road and are often seen walking along the pavements or grazing next to the local Morrisons and occasionally get lost amongst housing estates and have to be herded back by the rangers!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/22i9emv]deer4 by estherj_98, on Flickr[/URL]

I found it a real challenge getting this shot, and the final result was so well received, that it has to be this one. Tabletop photography is something I only do for themes for my 52, so it's always nice to get something close-ish to the image I saw in my mind's eye.

31 Piece by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

This is my favourite of the year. The reason is because it's the first large format photo on slide film that I've been totally satisfied with. I've been happy with quite a few of them, but this is the only one that I've taken that's ticked all the boxes for me.

Nagaoka 4x5 with 90mm wide angle, on Fuji Provia 100F.

Bren Tor Church
by Carl Hall, on Flickr

This was taken a few days after our wedding. We were sat looking at the cards and little keepsakes and I snapped this with my Sony A7 and Minolta 50mm f1.2 I think at f2. As a photo on a photpgraphy forum it's not a great photo, for one thing I cut the top of her head off, but as a memory of the moment it works for me :D

DSC07734.JPG

My favourite picture of the year is this portrait of my daughter. Whilst it's not my best portrait of the year it is my personal favourite simply because most pictures of her are full of pink things, unicorns, fairies and the like.. so it was great fun producing a grungy Halloween shot like this.

K9N1N9

At the start of the year I was in a slump and needed something to get me out shooting again. Whilst out one day I noticed the Shard kept popping up in a few shots and thought why not do a project on the Shard.

This is one of the first images I took.

Shards by George Griffin, on Flickr

Eventually I shot a couple of hundred images, which I then whittled down to 36 to give a modern day twist on Katsushika Hokusai's 36 views of Mount Fuji.

If anyone is interested the whole project can be seen at https://issuu.com/flaneurwithacamera/docs/document-5

has to be sports I suppose:) Quite pleased wiht a few of mine this year but this one I was expecting and positioned myself for the bowler not the batsman and waited...and waited...

hayman2.jpg

I don’t normally photograph people but I find I’ve been asked to more and more recently so sometimes use the hubby to practice on, still not entirely confident shooting portraits but I have to say I’m very happy with this one I got of him a few months back!

IMG_1604.jpg

Like a lot of people above, I'm not sure of my best, but this is the only one I've had printed from last year, so I've got to assume it's my favourite.

It was a crop of a much wider shot featuring my daughter and friend. I gave the other half of it to the friend's parents.

20729671_10154619779806021_8406438365643070994_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back