Your favourite national anthem?

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Any particular loves or loathes?

As for me:

Love: l Canto degli Italiani - The Italian national anthem.

Loath: The Star Spangled Banner.

I love the French one. I always dance to it.

As for one I hate? Never really thought about it. I do get annoyed with the British one from time to time. Especially when they do the full thing. Boring.

Our national anthem is a drone and harks back to time when it might have been relevant.

Now it has become a football chant at England games and contextually is irrelevant.

As a Scout back in the day I had to learn all the verses and at a church parade nearly nodded off as the whole thing was sung twice like a continuous loop.

I lost count of the really good anthems played at the Olympics. Stirring stuff.

Proud ours was played plenty. The tune is OK but the Americans have nicked that too.

I do like thr French NaTional anthem

La Marsellaise

A real stirring tune and the words harking back to revolution and change, lots of blood and thunder building up to a crescendo of pride.....

S

Last edited:
I like La Marseillaise, and also the italian national anthem. It was the only saving grace of Schumacher winning every race in a Ferrari for years, that at least I would get to hear the Italian anthem

Gotta to love: Wales (bias), Italy and France (pomp), Germany (always get into trouble when singing it in Germany - 1st 2 verses are now banned)

No hates - but Scotland please if you decide to go it alone chose something better than the dire 'Flower of Scotland' - a bland title to start off with and much like Advance Australia Fair sounds as if it was written by a committee

No feelings towards GSTQ - I'll happily wave the Union Flag to it, Jerusalem, Land of Hope and Glory and Pomp and Circumstance as much as I will wave the Red Dragon to LOMF, Men of Harlech and Cwm Rhondda.

Whenever I hear the Marseillaise I always think of the Father Ted christmas episode(would embed the clip but can't do it at work);with watching Motogp a lot get to hear the Spanish Marcha Real every race these days which is different as there are no words to it.

In Ireland/northern Ireland we always have the issues of national anthem....the southern anthem the"soldier song" or the northern one of "God save the queen"....then we have the unofficial anthem of "Danny boy" and the rugby anthem of "Ireland's call“ (the one I prefer, as it represents both parts off island without bias)....but in general I think most countries have a terrible anthem with most of them being out of date.... we should get jedward and the cheeky girls to do one for a unified Europe....lol

I love our National Anthem, dont see any reason to change. Its part of our history, anything new would be outdtaed within 10 years.

Too much emphasis on God in our national anthem for me.

And it confuses me when football fans get annoyed when the players don't sing it at International tournaments - like that means they are being disrespectful!

I find it very annoying that scotland and wales have their own anthem but we still have to have the UK national anthem. I'd much prefer either Land Of Hope And Glory or Jerusalem as our national anthem.

If the UK is being represented, as in the olympics, then GSTQ should be used but for an england only we should have our own.

Too much emphasis on God in our national anthem for me.

And it confuses me when football fans get annoyed when the players don't sing it at International tournaments - like that means they are being disrespectful!

In 4 verses, God get's mentioned 8 times and the Queen 10 times. Britain get's mentioned once. Tha't what is wrong with it (apart from sounding mournfull). It is not about Britain.

In 4 verses, God get's mentioned 8 times and the Queen 10 times. Britain get's mentioned once. Tha't what is wrong with it (apart from sounding mournfull). It is not about Britain.

Spain doesn't get mentioned at all in its own national anthem....!

I hate our national anthem also, so dull and boring, we need something a bit more cheery lol

I'm another who's not a fan of our own anthem, but I'm incredibly grateful it's not as bad as the USA's!

(y)

Military do a better job.

Excellent!

It must be 5 or 6 years ago now but there was a Russian "festival" type thing at Trafalgar Square one weekend. It included a Russian Military choir with all the old boys and their big hats. I think I'd just seen Hunt for Red October and it all sounded fantastic.

Anyway, these guys were selling CDs of their singing so I went to buy one but they would only accept US Dollars :LOL:

Nkosi sikelel i'Afrika

I hate our national anthem.. it's dreary and depressing.

I like the German anthem, and love the Italian one.

Holy thread revival (sorry folks) but the English National Anthem is in the news just now.

Land of Hope of Glory - hate it.

Jerusalem - I could live with.

I Vow to Thee My Country - I quite like it.

Nkosi sikelel i'Afrika!

I find it very annoying that scotland and wales have their own anthem but we still have to have the UK national anthem. I'd much prefer either Land Of Hope And Glory or Jerusalem as our national anthem.

If the UK is being represented, as in the olympics, then GSTQ should be used but for an england only we should have our own.

I like "Jerusalem" as a poem set to music, but as a national anthem for the country it's not really appropriate. I can imagine the uproar if it was ever seriously mooted. I'd vote for something entirely new, but if they held a competition heavens know what claptrap they'd come up with.

Love the Italian national anthem :)

I've always thought 'Land of hope and glory' would be a better national anthem for this country.

I like "Jerusalem" as a poem set to music, but as a national anthem for the country it's not really appropriate. I can imagine the uproar if it was ever seriously mooted. I'd vote for something entirely new, but if they held a competition heavens know what claptrap they'd come up with.

Jerusalem has been our Anthem at the Commonwealth Games since 2010 prior to which it was Land of Hope and Glory.

Land of hope and Glory, the Westminster chorus.

Land of Hope and Glory, Butter on the bum,
How shall we excite thee, being aged about three?
Wider still and wider shall thy airse be set;
God, who made thee sleazy, make thee sleazier yet.

I think Jerusalem was viewed by some to be a bit left wing due to the 'Dark Satanic Mills' of the Industrial revolution.

That said the latest votes were: "Jerusalem 52% of the vote; "Land of Hope and Glory" received 32% and "God Save the Queen" 12%.

Land of hope and Glory, the Westminster chorus.

Land of Hope and Glory, Butter on the bum,
How shall we excite thee, being aged about three?
Wider still and wider shall thy airse be set;
God, who made thee sleazy, make thee sleazier yet.

That contribution is nether welcome or relevant.

Need to be traditional, happy with god save the queen as that is historic. Mind you, dambusters time would be decent!

Back