YouTube tightening the screws

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I note today that YouTube have changed their advert policy. Previously, to try to get people to buy a subscription, they put in an ad page that you could skip immediately, that has now changed. Now you often have to put up with one or two adverts that you can skip after four or five seconds. I'm sure that very soon those adverts will take longer before they can be skipped. Well, they are not going to get a penny out of me, most especially because they produce next to nothing, almost everything on that site is provided to YouTube by other people and they have the temerity to try to charge £11.99 for it when advertisers have previously filled that role. Normally companies offer something extra to get people to pay extra, they don't try to take something away. It's bullying and coercion and I'll have none of it. Not that YouTube and Google will care but their actions have caused me to take out a subscription to Britbox; I will choose where I spend my money, not them.

Rant over.

So you’re not happy to pay to remove advertising on YouTube but you are happy to pay the BBC for content that you have already paid for over and over and over again by means of a TV licence?

just watch YouTube on a PC through the Brave browser. ads gone

Last edited:
I had a free month of YouTube Premium. I can't go back to adverts. It's a small cost in the grand scheme of things. And there's so much valuable content on there. I watch way more YouTube than Netflix or Amazon Prime or even Spotify that cost me a similar amount.

There are also ways of getting it cheaper with a VPN to India but I really can't be arsed with the hassle.

Been like that for ages. YouTube don't keep all of that anyway, it gets divvied up between monitized video creators like me, who work hard to provide content. No different than the advertisement money.
My YouTube analytics actually tell me how much revenue I've gotten from premium subscribers and normal adverts. The premium Is a tiny percentage.

There are also ways of getting it cheaper with a VPN to India but I really can't be arsed with the hassle.

Just tried it.. 139 rupees per month. That's just over a quid!
Quite a big difference to the £14.99 they want here!

I note today that YouTube have changed their advert policy. Previously, to try to get people to buy a subscription, they put in an ad page that you could skip immediately, that has now changed. Now you often have to put up with one or two adverts that you can skip after four or five seconds. I'm sure that very soon those adverts will take longer before they can be skipped. Well, they are not going to get a penny out of me, most especially because they produce next to nothing, almost everything on that site is provided to YouTube by other people and they have the temerity to try to charge £11.99 for it when advertisers have previously filled that role. Normally companies offer something extra to get people to pay extra, they don't try to take something away. It's bullying and coercion and I'll have none of it. Not that YouTube and Google will care but their actions have caused me to take out a subscription to Britbox; I will choose where I spend my money, not them.

Rant over.

Last edited:
Brave browser has been recommended a few time to me recently.
I downloaded it a few days ago, if the stats are correct it has blocked almost 20,000 trackers and ads,
during normal web use..
If it's true its impressive, and also goes to show how much crap is also embedded on the various sites.

So you’re not happy to pay to remove advertising on YouTube but you are happy to pay the BBC for content that you have already paid for over and over and over again by means of a TV licence?

The TV licence is never going to change, also Britbox is an amalgamation of all the terrestrial channels put into one place and paying sixty quid a year to watch, say, Law & Order:UK is considerably cheaper than buying the series from Amazon.

I have installed the Brave browser and you are absolutely right, no ads. If Facebook hadn't gone down this bullying route I would still be watching in the way I always did, by and sitting through one pre-roll ad before watching the video subsequently ad-free.

I am aware that these companies need money to run -- nowt for nowt in this world -- and did not actively avoid adverts on YouTube, until now.

Last edited:
I've never had to put up with YT adverts - there's always been ways to block them.

I currently use the Firefox uBlock Origin add-on and it works flawlessly.

Last edited:
brave browser has some rather dodgy business ethics. They insert their own ads into pages and also create their own affiliate links.

On iOS I have found AdGuard to work ok for blocking YouTube ads and on my laptop I use opera for viewing YouTube as it blocks the ads without installing or managing any extensions.

Brave browser has been recommended a few time to me recently.
I downloaded it a few days ago, if the stats are correct it has blocked almost 20,000 trackers and ads,
during normal web use..
If it's true its impressive, and also goes to show how much crap is also embedded on the various sites.

You don't need a different browser, you can get Ad-Block for Chrome. I never see ads on YT on the PC, the phone on the other hand ... eurgh, why can't someone figure out a way to Ad-block for apps? I've tried a few that claim to but they're junk, don't work

you can get Ad-Block for Chrome.
I ditched Chrome a long time ago, ( it was) to intrusive ;)
FF & Opera both have ad blockers.
But they don't seem to work as well as "Brave" does.

I ditched Chrome a long time ago, ( it was) to intrusive ;)
FF & Opera both have ad blockers.
But they don't seem to work as well as "Brave" does.

I ditched it a number of times, but always ended up coming back. For me it's the most suitable, I know it can be a bit of a hog but I don't notice any issues especially with the new PC, got plenty of RAM and a decent cpu/gpu combo, seems to keep Chrome running smooth

Last edited:
brave browser has some rather dodgy business ethics. They insert their own ads into pages and also create their own affiliate links.

On iOS I have found AdGuard to work ok for blocking YouTube ads and on my laptop I use opera for viewing YouTube as it blocks the ads without installing or managing any extensions.
Really, NEVER seen an ad on any site other than the opening page which gives you the stats.

You don't need a different browser, you can get Ad-Block for Chrome. I never see ads on YT on the PC, the phone on the other hand ... eurgh, why can't someone figure out a way to Ad-block for apps? I've tried a few that claim to but they're junk, don't work
Chrome does not block all Google tracking cookies it’s not in their interest. Also chrome consumes huge amount of memory compared to brave which is also Chromium based.

I usually have 7-8 chrome windows open at any given time for work and the memory usage in Chrome was a few Gb. brave uses around 800mb

Probably because the whole phone platform is designed to shove ads in our faces. There are decent ad-blocker plugins for some phone browsers. You can often block apps in apps that don't otherwise need internet access with a firewall app. But of course a lot of apps do need net access for something else, so blocking it will break the app. Anything more sophisticated than this generally needs root access, unless you can find an alternative app. For YouTube there's NewPipe, and modded versions of the regular app.

Probably because the whole phone platform is designed to shove ads in our faces. There are decent ad-blocker plugins for some phone browsers. You can often block apps in apps that don't otherwise need internet access with a firewall app. But of course a lot of apps do need net access for something else, so blocking it will break the app. Anything more sophisticated than this generally needs root access, unless you can find an alternative app. For YouTube there's NewPipe, and modded versions of the regular app.

a £35 quid raspberry pi and pihole works for me for most app based ads but limited to use on the home network.

unfortunately does not work for YouTube or farcebook as blocking their ad domain breaks the apps.

a £35 quid raspberry pi and pihole works for me for most app based ads but limited to use on the home network.

unfortunately does not work for YouTube or farcebook as blocking their ad domain breaks the apps.
Unfortunately my £35 Raspberry Pi tends to be at home when I am out with my phone. :)

Another vote for UBlock, I never see a youtube advert. And I agree that the whole premise behind Brave is very dubious

For Firefox and Chrome there's and extension called Adblocker for YouTube
It works for me on Firefox.

Back