Yulin dog eating festival

Edit My Images
No
what do you think of this

10 to 20 million dogs are killed in China each year for human meat consumption

http://metro.co.uk/2016/04/05/china...t-festival-and-the-pictures-are-grim-5795659/

I know that most of us eat animals ....... are dogs any different in this respect .........................but there are other questions here not the least of how they are killed ........

Also I know that throughout the world there are different cultures and customs, but the bloody Chinese generally just don't seem to care about animal welfare and cruelty

China is now a super power and take little notice of anyone in any of the actions it takes

It's a subject that pops up every year (I think it did on this forum too last year) where people are horrified, but is soon forgotten.

I'm not bothered at all. Their country, their culture.

My point was two fold - eating dogs and the way that they are killed and treated

it appears that you are not concerned (at all) about either ....... good luck to you in your life if you are not concerned at all about animal welfare, did you read how many are killed, ("their country, their culture")

Last edited:
They eat dogs in China...not news.
They eat lots of things in China that are not generally consumed in the western world...also not news.
Are their methods of killing distasteful? Yes.
But when their record on human rights are so poor, and they don't give a damn what the rest of the world thinks about that, do you really think they could care any less about our opinions on their menu of choice?
They're also not the only one's who do it.

If you feel so terribly strong about it, might I suggest you contact the Chinese cultural attaché here : chinaculturaloffice@googlemail.com

Or try for Ambassador Liu Xiaoming himself. zj_uk@mfa.gov.cn

I suspect you won't bother though.

I don't have a problem with people choosing what kind of food they eat, but any cruelty to those animals is acceptable.

That goes for everyone though, so includes all the poorly kept chickens, battery caged egg hens, pigs in crates, foie gras ducks, etc, etc.....

They eat dogs in China...not news.
They eat lots of things in China that are not generally consumed in the western world...also not news.
Are their methods of killing distasteful? Yes.
But when their record on human rights are so poor, and they don't give a damn what the rest of the world thinks about that, do you really think they could care any less about our opinions on their menu of choice?
They're also not the only one's who do it.

If you feel so terribly strong about it, might I suggest you contact the Chinese cultural attaché here : chinaculturaloffice@googlemail.com

Or try for Ambassador Liu Xiaoming himself. zj_uk@mfa.gov.cn

I suspect you won't bother though.

Thanks you oracle, as usual you seem to know what other people's actions will be and how they live their lives ......... alway stating the obvious, quite telling and always stereotyped

Last edited:
Reactions: mex
My point was two fold - eating dogs and the way that they are killed and treated

it appears that you are not concerned (at all) about either ....... good luck to you in your life if you are not concerned at all about animal welfare, did you read how many are killed, ("their country, their culture")

How many times are you going to edit your post?
I didn't read how many are killed because as far as I am concerned it's just a number.

Thanks you oracle, as usual you seem to know what other people's actions will be and how they live their lives ......... alway stating the obvious, quite telling and always stereotyped

Let us know what response you get.

Let us know what response you get.

How will contacting the Chinese Government serve any (useful) purpose in matter ...... influencing public awareness and constantly bringing it to the attention of the world will be far more effective

I didn't read how many are killed because as far as I am concerned it's just a number.

what are you talking about? edit my post?

and

"I didn't read how many are killed because as far as I am concerned it's just a number"

How will contacting the Chinese Government serve any (useful) purpose in matter ...... influencing public awareness and constantly bringing it to the attention of the world whining about it will be far more effective

Fixed that for you.

again so predictable ...... it must be boring sat it your office sticking stamps on letters and passing invoices

That's it? That's your come-back?
Oh come on Billy boy, you can do better than that I'm sure, even on a Sunday.

We all know you're just having a whinge about something you've seen on a news feed.
The only public awareness you will afford the matter is in this thread.
You won't campaign for change. You won't take a wider public stance.
You're a keyboard warrior with Sunday morning pseudo-outrage (and, it seems, no grasp of grammar).

That's it? That's your come-back?
Oh come on Billy boy, you can do better than that I'm sure, even on a Sunday.

We all know you're just having a whinge about something you've seen on a news feed.
The only public awareness you will afford the matter is in this thread.
You won't campaign for change. You won't take a wider public stance.
You're a keyboard warrior with Sunday morning pseudo-outrage (and, it seems, no grasp of grammar).

Is it Sunday, my God

again so many misconceptions and assumptions .... although I am more concerned about S African wildlife that Spanish dogs

your Office~Manager role - passing invoices, sticking stamps on letters and being frustrated by all around you must be so boring

Is it Sunday, my God

again so many misconceptions and assumptions .... although I am more concerned about S African wildlife that Spanish dogs

your Office~Manager role - passing invoices, sticking stamps on letters and being frustrated by all around you must be so boring

If you're going to use that in every post, might it not be easier just to make it your signature?

Also, when did Spanish dogs enter the equation?

Sarcasm, patronising and the like I rife in here today I see :banghead:

Half a dozen times but curiously they all say the same thing.

I'll eat most things, but I wouldn't knowingly eat a dog, or any other carnivore, they apparently have a very very strong and unpleasant taste.
( But I stand to be corrected if anyone knows different)

@BillN_33 @viv1969 Quit with the personals, there's a good chap / chapess.

Half a dozen times but curiously they all say the same thing.

@BillN_33 @viv1969 Quit with the personals, there's a good chap / chapess.

the problem, (one of many), is I get a lot of "wrong" predictive text errors ..... like if and it and I don't see them until after the post is posted ...... the forum is faster than me, I type i........ and it is it before I have the chance to type if

(just edited this post because of that)

Last edited:
Don't do it then :p

If only points were made with reason and real personal opinion instead of mockrage, media links and initial personal jibes ;) :)

I certainly don't see that my first post warranted the digs (repeatedly)at my job, which the OP has no knowledge of.

I'll eat most things, but I wouldn't knowingly eat a dog, or any other carnivore, they apparently have a very very strong and unpleasant taste.
( But I stand to be corrected if anyone knows different)

thought it was pork when I ordered, looked more like overdone duck when it arrived, tasted very strong, not particularly pleasant, and was tough and stringy...

took me about 5 beers to get the plateful down.

Wouldn't order it again.

thought it was pork when I ordered, looked more like overdone duck when it arrived, tasted very strong, not particularly pleasant, and was tough and stringy...

took me about 5 beers to get the plateful down.

Wouldn't order it again.

presumably it depends on the breed?

If only points were made with reason and real personal opinion instead of mockrage, media links and initial personal jibes ;) :)

I certainly don't see that my first post warranted the digs (repeatedly)at my job, which the OP has no knowledge of.

That is not how I read my opening post ................ it was the start of a discussion ..... worth having in my view ......... IMHO, you reacted in the way that you react to many postings, (stereotype)

presumably it depends on the breed?

probably also depends on how much it'd been running around - at least in terms of how tough and stringy it was. Fairly sure from the texture of mine, it'd been pulling a sled for most of its life... was at least 25 years ago, and when I think about it now, I convince myself there's still some stuck between my teeth :(

Last edited:
probably also depends on how much it'd been running around - at least in terms of how tough and stringy it was.

Apparently the St Bernard is "prized" in China ..... there was, (and hopefully still is), a move to stop the Chinese importing these dogs from Europe, (particularly Switzerland) ...... I believe that they also tried through Singapore

Last edited:

Is everyone meant to run threads past you to make sure they are worthy?..
He was and is entitled to be disgusted and or upset and have a little vent on here like thousands of others do

I'll leave it at that so it doesn't derail anymore

I'd eat it. We don't here. They're farmed over there. They're not farmed here. Who's arsed?

Is everyone meant to run threads past you to make sure they are worthy?..
He was and is entitled to be disgusted and or upset and have a little vent on here like thousands of others do

I'll leave it at that so it doesn't derail anymore

Welcome to the club.
Mods, please lock me from this thread.

I'd eat it. We don't here. They're farmed over there. They're not farmed here. Who's arsed?

Most of us eat meat, I certainly do living in France, (we could talk about Ducks etc.,) - but there are two points in my post which I thought worthy of discussion and opinion even on a Sunday .... I have only ever worked in HK and Taiwan - never mainland China, so do not really know their culture - but the Nationalist Chinese are certainly different.

my two points were - eating dogs in the way they do in China ........ and killing animals, in the way they do in China ....... if you look at my posts generally my images in particular you will see that I am interested in nature they hopefully show that I do care about nature ....... contrary to what Ruth may insinuate I do quite a lot to support this view both financially and in what I say and do ...... but it would be wrong for me to suggest to others that they do the same

the purpose of my post ...... and this will continue ....... is to make people more aware on this forum of what is happening.

I spend quite a bit of time in S Africa and surprisingly I find the general population, (the limited number that I come into contact with) ....... and certainly the regular guy in the street, black, white or coloured, more concerned about such issues than "we" are in the UK and France ......... maybe they are nearer to it than Europeans and appreciate more it's importance .................. a few of the views above certainly surprise me.

it is a pity that this thread has turned out to be the way that it has, but who am I to argue with 23,000 odd posts

Last edited:
Last edited:
2 years v 4 years membership not a huge amount in it pro rata
I don't know ... how many photos has Ruth posted on this photography forum compared to Bill :rolleyes:
Who cares. It's all about the dogs.

Back