Critique Zaha Hadidplein - Antwerp

Excellent photo, was there myself back end of last year, a very good city for photography.
We went up on the roof of the MAS, but as we left my wife slipped over outside and fractured her wrist.
Curtailed our wandering a bit, fortunately had already been down the Sint Anna tunnel and had got my photos.
Got any more to share Dave?

That's some building - and nicely shot!

Striking image
Thank you. :)

Excellent photo, was there myself back end of last year, a very good city for photography.
We went up on the roof of the MAS, but as we left my wife slipped over outside and fractured her wrist.
Curtailed our wandering a bit, fortunately had already been down the Sint Anna tunnel and had got my photos.
Got any more to share Dave?
Thanks! I was there with my wife and three year old so everything else I have got are pretty much grab shots, this one was the one time I put my foot time and demanded 10 minutes to 'do the job right'. :LOL:

We went up the MAS too but fortunately no accidents, which was more luck than anything else with ten storeys of escalators with a pram.

Antwerp-113 by David Walker, on Flickr

And the view from the top.
Antwerp-119 by David Walker, on Flickr

I have a few more that are hopefully a bit more than just holiday snaps and pictures of food, there is a mish mash of architecture and street stuff here.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmBB2WBN

Thank you. :)

Thanks! I was there with my wife and three year old so everything else I have got are pretty much grab shots, this one was the one time I put my foot time and demanded 10 minutes to 'do the job right'. :LOL:

We went up the MAS too but fortunately no accidents, which was more luck than anything else with ten storeys of escalators with a pram.

Antwerp-113 by David Walker, on Flickr

And the view from the top.
Antwerp-119 by David Walker, on Flickr

I have a few more that are hopefully a bit more than just holiday snaps and pictures of food, there is a mish mash of architecture and street stuff here.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmBB2WBN

Some good ones on your Flickr page too, we went to Ghent earlier in the year so recognised the castle straight away.
Probably won't show my missus that photo of the MAS, like the old style skyscraper one, good angle of it.
Also went just over the Belgian border to Aachen just before Christmas, back there again in the summer.
They do an urbex walk in Charleroi which looks interesting, as you can probably tell we quite like Belgium.
Did you go by train
Couple of mine here before the accident https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/antwerp.687425/

Last edited:
Some good ones on your Flickr page too, we went to Ghent earlier in the year so recognised the castle straight away.
Probably won't show my missus that photo of the MAS, like the old style skyscraper one, good angle of it.
Also went just over the Belgian border to Aachen just before Christmas, back there again in the summer.
They do an urbex walk in Charleroi which looks interesting, as you can probably tell we quite like Belgium.
Did you go by train
Couple of mine here before the accident https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/antwerp.687425/
No we didn't get the train, it worked out much cheaper to fly. It's only a ~45 minute flight and I am only 5 minutes down the road from Southend Airport.

I would like to go back, but as nice as it was I didn't come away thinking there was much more to see in Antwerp to warrant a return visit any time soon. Ghent was lovely so would go back there, but really it is more likely to be Bruges and Ypres next time, hopefully as part of a much wider driving tour of Europe.

Just looked up the Sint Anna tunnel, we say the entrance building but didn't realise what it was. Having seen the pictures I wish we had gone down there.

Spectacular architecture, not a bad photo either!
Thank you. I am a facade engineer by day, so it's a bit of a professional interest for me. Though the downside to that is that the more mundane images have the more interest for me. :geek:

Antwerp-117 (Medium).jpg

Good image, however the ugliness of modern architecture that ruins a stunning building.

Last edited:
Strange that something of a similar design was removed from the Brussels site of the 1958 World Fair
Maybe its a homage to that weird structure?
https://www.belgianboutique.com/magazine/architecture/forgotten-legacy-expo-58

Thankfully they kept the Atomium, love that bit of fifties madness and always like seeing it even if its just from a train
Hope you don't mind a small one of it here
View attachment 238929
Of course, share away. Nothing like that would be built these days, it doesn't give an efficient marketable floor area. :sleep:

I have just found that the translation of Zaha Hadidplein is Zaha Hadid Square, so not the actual name of the building itself which is the offices of the Antwerp Port Authority.
The new extension (which is a bit of an understatement) is shaped to look like a ships hull while the faceted facade is a nod to Antwerp's position as the major diamond market of Europe.

Last edited:
One from a trip to Belgium a couple of weeks back, only just gotten around to getting them off the camera.

Zaha Hadidplein by David Walker, on Flickr

Dave, its a really striking image, but the verticals are doing my (OCD) head in!!! I know that at such a wide angle there is distortion present, and also there isn't a lot of real estate around the target to straighten the image. I hope you don't mind (you do indicate edit my images - yes in your profile), but I've had a crack at straightening it. As there was not enough around the image, I've used photo shops content aware fill to fill in the bottom right hand corner. Its lost some sharpness, with the screen grab from flickr and then manilupation in JPG, but it was the verticals I wanted to highlight, not the IQ (which was great on the original)

Thoughts?

8Bh1Ks0h.jpg

Last edited:
Dave, its a really striking image, but the verticals are doing my (OCD) head in!!! I know that at such a wide angle there is distortion present, and also there isn't a lot of real estate around the target to straighten the image. I hope you don't mind (you do indicate edit my images - yes in your profile), but I've had a crack at straightening it. As there was not enough around the image, I've used photo shops content aware fill to fill in the bottom right hand corner. Its lost some sharpness, with the screen grab from flickr and then manilupation in JPG, but it was the verticals I wanted to highlight, not the IQ (which was great on the original)

Thoughts?

8Bh1Ks0h.jpg
Hi David, I always welcome constructive criticism so more than happy for you to have a stab at improving my images. It is a definite improvement and it's only now that I see your version that I can see the problems with my original so I will be having a re-work of it!

Thanks. :)

Hi David, I always welcome constructive criticism so more than happy for you to have a stab at improving my images. It is a definite improvement and it's only now that I see your version that I can see the problems with my original so I will be having a re-work of it!

Thanks. :)

Its partly the WA distortion, and partly that the lens is pointing upwards, that causes the issue. Looking forward to seeing your reworked version.

Back