Zippers

Great series. Looks more like a successful mating to me, although I guess it's possible the smaller male is eating the female. It looks like she's recently moulted anyway, so she might be very vulnerable until her skin hardens. In any case it looks like he's timed it well. I wouldn't be surprised if Goliath ate David as he made his exit though...

Great captures, especially that last one. I'd try out a tight crop to focus in on the action.

Wow Timmy, I hadn't thought of that. I thought he was wrapping her up for a meal as he ran around and around her body. I knew she was still alive because she was slowly moving about like the toxins had just started to really take effect. I think mating is what was happening. I have other viewpoints as well. I'll have to revisit them now...

Great shots Kevin, photos with a story are most pleasing for me. Would like to see some alternative angles on this set!

Love these shots. Definitely got a way to go to achieve this level of excellence.

Thanks. Yes I used a flash with a mini soft box. It was about a half hour from sunset and the sun was on the other side of the shed. This find was pure accident. I was walking the dog in the back yard and saw the first single spider move quickly and I had been looking for zippers and hadn't seen amy yet this year. I grabbed my rig and went back to take pics of her and then looked to my left and saw the couple about a meter away. Lucky!

Back