Zoo's Handheld or Tripod

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Hi people.

When shooting at zoos do you tend to hand hold or use tripods?

I like the idea of a tripod but didn't know if it would get in the way of people and you end up being in the way.

Thanks
Paul

Other than extreme situations like using a long lenses for a long period and thus needing a gimbal, I can think of any situation where trying to use a tripod in a zoo wouldn't be a massive pain in the arse.

I use a monopod when required at zoos....
You can quite often rest on a pillar or similar.....

Hand held for me, plus there are usually plenty of fences to rest on, if required, or shooting through glass, lens hood pressing right tight against the glass, and your other hand underneath the lens to support it.
Failing that I would definitely say mono pod over tri-pod.
Just think of the live bait, I mean children tear-arsing about, and one trips over / kicks the tri pod,
there goes your kit and possibly a law suit if the poor thing hurts itself!

Just to add - I tend to use a D500-70-200 F2.8...so YMMV subject to lens/body etc.....

Last time I went i was using a D300 with a nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6 vr. So not good hi ISO camera and a slow F5.6 and a dull overcast late afternoon.

I'm in the process of upgrading my kit.

Nowt wrong with a D300, but you tend to need f2.8 or similar to loose the cage mesh etc .....

I modified a monopod by taking off the rubber at the bottom and fitting the rubber part from a hospital crutch. Very stable indeed

I spent the day at a zoo a few weeks ago - all hand held for me and I didn't think they came out too bad. That said, most of them were close enough to not need to full extend the 70-200

Thanks. I was fairly happy with the results. Felt i could have done better with better kit. As had been said F2.8 would have made it better for shooting through bars and helped me get the shutter speed up for the faster moving animals.

PCB5193.jpg

PCB5272.jpg
PCB5247.jpg

wildlife

Last edited:
OP. Your question might be moot.

You have to ensure the zoo allows photography, and if so, under what set of conditions? i.e they might allow photography for non-commercial use without the need to seek specific permission, but not with a tripod.

If there are no restrictions, then as long as you're not causing a problem for non-togs then I'd go with what suits you best. Could also be worth checking out if the zoo does special event days for togs.

You have to ensure the zoo allows photography, and if so, under what set of conditions? i.e they might allow photography for non-commercial use without the need to seek specific permission, but not with a tripod.

If there are no restrictions, then as long as you're not causing a problem for non-togs then I'd go with what suits you best. Could also be worth checking out if the zoo does special event days for togs.

Thank you for that you make a good point regarding the permission.

Good points but I've never found a zoo that actually prohibits photography though Chester zoo for example does place restrictions on commercial use but not a problem for me as I've never tried to sell any pictures
Some may well restrict the use of tripods but I've never had a problem using one
I mainly use a monopod though it's great and if also braced against a fence or railing I can use quite low shutter speeds

Last edited:
I mainly use a monopod though it's great and if also braced against a fence or railing I can use quite low shutter speeds

:agree: And the use of a velcro strap to hold it tight often works too....

QUOTE="Jelster, post: 8058952, member: 4586"]:agree: And the use of a velcro strap to hold it tight often works too....[/QUOTE]
That's a good idea
I hadn't thought of that :)

Last edited:
Back