Camera repair with a multimeter

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I recently picked up an old Minolta Hi-Matic S at a thrift shop.
It's in great shape, however, the batteries had corroded and after removing them and cleaning out the chamber with a little vinegar and contact cleaner I'm still getting no power.
It there a way I can use a multimeter as a first step to check if the circuit is connected?

As you'll be able to tell, I'm new to old camera repairs so please go easy on me!

Cheers :)

Depends on how complex the circuit board is, but you could check for continuity from the contact to somewhere further along the cicuit?

Thanks @billgatese30 , I haven't opened up the circuit board as was hoping to check it in some way before pulling the camera apart, but perhaps that's not possible?

Thanks @realspeed but the Hi-Matic S just takes standard AAs.

Hi all,
I recently picked up an old Minolta Hi-Matic S at a thrift shop.
It's in great shape, however, the batteries had corroded and after removing them and cleaning out the chamber with a little vinegar and contact cleaner I'm still getting no power.
It there a way I can use a multimeter as a first step to check if the circuit is connected?

As you'll be able to tell, I'm new to old camera repairs so please go easy on me!

Cheers :)

If they were alkaline batteries, all you needed was a small wire brush and a damp cloth, I wouldn't put vinegar near it.

Did you ensure the terminals were properly clean?

You need to connect a mA meter between one of the battery terminal and the camera, which might tell you there is some connection, but it might not tell you much, depend too on whether the power switch is mechanical or electronic.

Not knowing the camera, I wouldn't put an Ohm meter across the battery terminals, with a cheap multimeter and a sensitive camera, you might damage it.

Also check the positive of the battery is actually making a connection with the contact in the camera, many modern batteries don't because effectively the positive contact is too short.

This site may be able to help. They have service/repair manuals for several Minolta Hi-Matics...

Note: they charge about $3 per download

Back